CatsPets

Getting Cat in Carrier

Here's a slick trick for putting a willful cat in its carrier. First, try to put it in hind feet first to get it thinking that it had to struggle against it. Then, suddenly flip it around and quickly put it in head first. If you're quick, the cat's mind isn't prepared for the switch and in it goes.

By nekocat from OR

Dear nekocat,

The most successful and far less stressful method I've found to get Milo (our cat) into his carrier is to sprinkle a few drops of Catmint/Catnip on a terry hand towel which then acts as a soft "mat" in the carriage floor. Voila! Instant success every time as the catmint aroma seems to lull Milo into a settling daze for the duration. Catmint/catnip is readily available in small bottles in the Pet aisles of all Supermarkets, otherwise Catmint is sold in its herb form by Plant Nurseries for a very low price and just a couple of leaves amongst his "mat" will also do the trick.

Cheers from DownUnder (Australia),

Cheryld2107.

NB: Ive been assured by our excellent Vet at the Vetrinary Hospital which Milo attends on occasion that Catmint/catnip is not a drug, and thus not harmful to him.

Hi - I have had cats for 65 years and in that time I have had to learn numerous tricks for "taming" cats as all have different personalities. Most cats do not like being put into a carrier.

I have used the Cat Nip trick many times and it usually works great but there are cats who totally ignore it and will let you know in no uncertain terms that they are NOT going in that carrier. They will hide long before you even bring the carrier out of the closet (or wherever) which leads me to believe they can read your mind (just like telling you about the telephone call before it rings).

If you have to contain your cat and have no Cat Nip try having everything ready to go (carrier) and then ignore it for a while or even bring it out the night before.

When the time arrives try throwing a medium/large towel over the cat (especially his head) and pick him up (wrapped in the towel) and slide him in the carrier - towel and all. I always place the carrier on a bed or somewhere high enough that I can "work" comfortably and quickly!!!

This works better if you have a helper but can be done by yourself if necessary.

I love cats and most of my cats have lived long lives. Several have lived over 18-19 years (as we have grown old together) and it is very difficult to let one go on before you but then you see a little orphan and God gets your heart ready to accept another one.