What causes a videocassette tape to wear out?

What causes a videocassette tape (that you record on, yes, I still record shows on a videocassette tape) to wear out? And how long do the manufacturers of these videocassette tapes expect them to last for a consumer (before needing/having to purchase another videocassette tape)? I regularly clean the video cassette recorder with a VHS tape cleaner as recommended (by the manufacturer).

Ba Rok

Hi, My husband repairs professional tape players. He says that you should never put the tape on pause and leave it there for any length of time as this will create a weak spot in the tope. Also, if the player is not adjusted correctly it can rub on the side of the tape and ruin it. I hope this helps you. Loretta

It is my understanding that winding and re-winding the tape stretches it. Thereby "wearing it out".

My vcr repairman told me to never use vcr head cleaners. He also told me if the tape "rolls" to forward it to the end and rewind it to readjust it. I also read somewhere that vcr tapes should be stored vertically and not real near the tv or magnetic field.

The forwarding and rewinding he said will tighten the tape, sometimes it works I discovered and sometimes not. Also I have discovered some brands of tapes are better than others, I dislike Sony and like Maxell. Also when stores have a deal like 99 cents for a tape, you get what you pay for, a pretty poor quality tape. Interesting we heard different versions of what the forwarding/rewinding does, yet another vcr person may tell me something different!

Duct Tape
Making Duct Tape Clothes
Duct Tape
Removing Duct Tape From Carpet
Making a Duct Tape Bow
Making a Duct Tape Bow
duct tape flip flops
Making Duct Tape Flip Flops
🎄