Grass and Weeds Growing Between Bricks

Question:

I have brick around a pool. I have children that play around my pool. Grass and weeds are growing from the cracks. How do I kill the weeds? The children are bare foot and I also have a possible run off. I am afraid to use anything toxic as I might harm my children.

Any suggestions?

Jim from Churchville, PA

Answer:

Jim, If you're looking to avoid run-off and protect your children's bare feet, your best options are hand pulling, pouring boiling water on the weeds or using a propane torch to singe them. Many people might suggest using a solution made from 1 gallon of vinegar (regular 5% distilled vinegar found at the grocery store), 1 cup of salt and 1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap. I wouldn't. Because this is a pool area frequented by bare feet, I would stick to a non-chemical solution. Vinegar can be mildly irritating to the skin of some people (even in low 5% concentrations). Also, using vinegar repeatedly on concrete in a sunny area will cause it to degrade over time. Finally, with both the salt and vinegar there's a chance of run-off. To hand pull the weeds, wet the area first and use a small shovel to make sure you get the roots out. Place some shredded newspaper followed by some sand or small rocks in the cracks to prevent the weeds from re-sprouting. Pouring boiling water or burning the weeds with a torch will work fine, but those methods may require several attempts before you can safely say you've accomplished your goal.

Young kids love to pull things so get them involved. You might want to throw a "weeding party" which ends with a rewarding dip in the pool.

Ellen

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Good old Vinegar will kill the weeds and grass, but not hurt tender little feet! Grass/weeds grow in our dog pen and I weed whack them then pour 1 gal. of vinegar into a watering can and sprinkle the 'whacked' grass & weeds. Dead in 2-3 days!

JoanDogs

Same concept, 1 gallon vinegar, 1 cup salt, 4 tabl of dish detergent, shake each time of use and spray on the weeds, being careful not to put on grass, instant killer.

Joy @ Culbertson MT

You can also add salt and dish soap to the vinegar...the dish soap helps the vinegar to stick. make sure you shake it up before spraying.

Just pour a little bit of boiling water directly on the weeds...

Pour boiling water over the weeds. It will kill them and it's non toxic.

all I do is fill a spray bottle with bleach and spray the area. careful not to spray flowers or other plants.

also not around children or when it's windy (if wind is coming towards you) good luck

Just get you some " round up ". That what I do , every other week. It works great !!