Keeping Spices Dry

Is there any solution to keeping cooking spices from becoming damp? Is it just this time of the year - with all the humidity - or does this mean that the spice is "old" and needs to be thrown out?

Toni from USA

I have never had spices get damp. They should never be stored by the stove....they need to be away from heat and moisture. I think they are probably better off away from light too.

You can buy these amazing little canisters called Dry Spice ( that you just drop into your spice jars and it removes all the moisture. I had many spices that were all stuck together, I had to break them up with a knife. After I put these canisters in them they turned into powder again. Amazing! It also keeps the flavor & smell very fresh.

Jars of spices.
Storing Spices
Food and Recipes Food Tips Herbs and SpicesMarch 14, 2006
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
dried spices
How Long Do Dried Herbs and Spices Last?
Many Bags of Colorful Dried Spices
Keeping Spices Fresh
A cutting board with ground spices and fresh spices on it.
Ground Spices vs. Fresh Spices