Use the Dollar Store for Shopping Sprees

contest winner icon

When I get the urge to shop and don't want to spend a lot of money, I go to the dollar store. It's a great way to squelch the urge and I can get a few inexpensive items that I usually need.

By Kim from Franklin Park, IL

I TOO LOVE THE DOLLAR STORE. SUCH GREAT BARGAINS AND IF I FEEL I NEED TO SPLURGE A LITTLE I'M NOT OUT MUCH

We have a few dollars store within a 15 minute drive radius, I can usually find things that I want or need and save money at the same time. I just love these dollar stores.

What a wonderful idea! Instead of going to the mall or large box store JUST go to $1 store! I think all women have that urge to go shop and this idea of yours will not break the bank.

Thanks for sharing this!

The $ Store is a great splurge. The LIBRARY is another fun one. I give myself enough time to browse and pick up CDs, tapes, magazines, and books. I also take the ads I get from book clubs with me and try to find the same (or very similar) books to the ones I was tempted to buy. It's easy to keep track of due dates and renewals over the Internet.

Even more thrifty - buy gifts for Christmas and birthdays on your shopping spree.

I also love the Dollar Store. We are now geting a cold and frozen food section in our Dollar Tree. Also if you want to go shopping try the Salvation Army Thrift Shop. One of my favorites. Our Salvation Army has a 50 cent bin. I wear plus size clothes. I get most my clothes there. I hate to pay full price any more at regular stores.

Ha! I knew a lady who called it the "$30 Store" because everytime she went in she spent at least that much - but you do get a LOT for your $ -

Hah! Great minds think alike is what I say. Tell me did you happen to notice that a lot of dollar store blogs are on here too. You can get other ideas from them just don't tell all on here that they are your idea, because that is a form of plagarism. I for one have more than most on here about dollar store check me out under Frugal and Tightwad Tanya. I have more saving in Arizona than in Minnesota isn't that a hoot, and Arizona is suppose to be expensive. Well here is to hoping you shop more at dollar stores in the future. You know though it isn't truly a dollar store if the prices are the same as Wal-Mart or Walgreens in your area like ShopKo or Fry's. You as do we all have to be careful about what dollar stores we shop at can brag about to all on here. I did affend one gal who thought that my gloating on my dollar store was a great store. She thought it was too cheap only a dollar storewide and nothing over that amount. Well I always say that great minds think alike and this site is full of great minds too. Happy shopping ok.

Tanya ;)

Isn't it a GREAT feeling to walk out with 20 items for $20.And it's things you know at another store would cost you twice that amount!!I've got to where I buy the small bottles of Suavitel liquid fabric softener insted of Downy.It's every bit as good,and yet not a "watered down" product.One brand I will not buy is THE WORKS products.You may as well pour blue cake coloring in a toilet--absolutely a waste of money.As for gift giving-I pick up inexpensive gift items and keep them back for when I need a small gift for an occasion.DOLLAR TREE stores are the BEST THING since BUBBLE GUM!!!

I think the dollar stores are fun, too. I agree that The Works is no good and I hate the smell. It kind of smells like smoke. Some of the hand lotion is kind of poor quality, too. Otherwise, I enjoy shopping there.

Great idea. I also go to the thrift shops when I feel an urge to shop, normally find something that I need.

A comment on the $.50 bin a the Sal. Army Thrift Store. In Anderson, SC, the Goodwill Thrift Shop has four $.50 racks in each of their stores on Sunday. I buy my clothes there, nice name brands I wear like Sag Harbor.The clothes are in excellent condition. I've even gotten sweater sets for $.50 as they considered it one item.

One great buy I get at Dollar General is their lubricating eye drops. The same ingredients as Systane (I showed it to my eye Dr. and got his ok), and I pay $4.00 for the same weight as $12.00 Systane. My dry eye condition is better than when I used the expensive brand.