Recycled Wine Cork Bracelets

I made this collection of bracelets with slices of wine corks, garden twine, beads from my craft box, scrap findings and fine gauge copper wire. The only thing I had to buy in was the crimp beads, which are not expensive and save much time and fiddling around trying to tie little knots.

I was really pleased with the results and have already had great feedback and even some orders! I think this is a great craft for adults and teens to try.

Approximate Time: 1-2 hours for the three bracelets

• slices of wine cork
  • crimp beads
  • elastic thread
  • a few small wooden beads
  • a large blunt needle like a crewel needle
  • beading thread
  • jute string
  • seed beads
  • fine copper wire
  • a lighted candle

Once you have all the supplies together, you will quickly come up with your own designs. Basically for the bronze charm bracelet, I threaded up large seed beads onto stretch beading thread them made the charms or, like the butterfly one, just used bits from my bead box.

The technique for embellishing the cork beads is to heat up the point of the needle then use it to pierce holes in the cork slices. You can then thread wire, beads, string through the holes. Crimp beads are used to secure the hanging loops and beading thread to the fasteners.

For the string bracelet (which is really just a variation on the friendship bracelet idea but much faster to make!) I just cut a long piece of string and threaded on larger glass beads and cork slices. For a more chunky feel, I used knots to secure everything and made a loop and bead catch.

I think the best thing about these designs is that they can be as simple or complex as the person making them can manage! (oh yes, and they are also very frugal too)

By Ayesha from Slovenia EU

I love these! Who would have thought of using corks cut up? They kind of remind me of Indian jewelry. I'm going to try this. Thanks!

Hi Ayesha,

Thankyou for showing this neat idea! I have several wine corks from a cub scout project years ago and was wondering what craft idea besides a trivet. Cutting them up is a great idea!

love and hugs!

How did you cut the cork so smoothly? I get crumbly or jagged.

Second photo of a wine cork key ring.
Craft Uses for Corks
Crafts Recycled Crafts JewelryAugust 26, 2010
Trivet (hot pad) made from wine corks inside metal hoop
Making a Wine Cork Trivet
Handmade wine cork corkboard
Recycled Wine Cork Bulletin Board
finished reindeer 1
Making a Wine Cork Reindeer
Glass of Red Wine Spilled on Carpet
Removing Red Wine Stains from Carpet