Fixing Fluorescent Lights

This is a guide about fixing fluorescent lights. Before tossing out a fluorescent light that seems to be broken, try some of these tips to repair it.

January 4, 2017 Flag

This is a guide about fixing a fluorescent ceiling light. Fluorescent ceiling lights can go out for a number of reasons.

Fluorescent
Ceiling Light

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 11, 2010 Flag

My kitchen fluorescent light would not come on. I replaced both tubes and it worked fine. I turned it off that night, and the next morning it would not come on again. I can take the tubes out and put them back in, and they will burn until I turn the light off, and then they will not come on again. Any idea what is wrong?

By Cahem from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Something similar happend to my fluorescent light when I bought my house and it was the ballast that needed to be replaced. Not sure if it is the same as a starter but once it was replaced, never had a problem again.

If it's an older fluorescent light, it might be the starter that's the problem. It's a cylindrical-shaped thing inside the light, and you can see what it is and what it does here:

http://home.how  /question337.htm

You can replace the starter, just as you could replace a bulb. I need to do this, myself, because my light's starter is buzzing annoyingly as it warms up.

When I worked in a school, the janitor often had to replace the ballast to get the lights to work properly. This is likely your problem. Check out the website WildIrish suggests, as it is not hard to do, based on watching the janitor do it!

December 1, 2015 Flag

When I turn the lamp on it takes 10-20 seconds for it to turn on. It seems like the outlet has only some of the power. There was a power strip plugged in the the outlet and hooked up to a fluorescent light that won't fully turn on. Should I replace the outlet?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

A little more trouble shooting may be required. Does the lamp turn on quickly at other receptacles? Does the fluorescent lamp work at other receptacles? If they do, consider have an electrician meter the voltage at your receptacle.

August 11, 2011 Flag

I have two fluorescent light fixtures in my kitchen. One fixture with 5 bulbs works. I replaced all the bulbs on the other fixture, but it still does not work. What is the problem?

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My only three thoughts.

1. Check to see if you are getting power to the switch and then the fixture.

2. Check the ballast. May need to replace.

3. Maybe easier to replace the fixture.

Go to:

http://www.natu  al/inffluor.html

helped me. i had an older florescent fixture that had a "starter". Once I replaced the starter, my fixture worked just fine.

I had the same thing happen. My fixture was 30 years old. I had to replace the whole fixture, but it was not too expensive.

It does sound like it is the ballast. If that is the case it is cheaper to replace the fixture.

I also recommend changing the starter and especially before spending extra money for a new fixture. A starter is a small part that is very inexpensive. Go to a hardware store and ask to speak to someone who will explain how to change it. If the starter turns out to not be the problem you can always return it with it's original packaging.

Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalDecember 14, 2015
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Oregon Zoolights
Saving Money on Christmas Lights
Fluorescent
Ceiling Light
Fixing a Fluorescent Ceiling Light
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 17, 2017 at 9:07:06 AM on 10.0.1.122 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.