Fluorescent Light With New Bulbs Does Not Turn On

My kitchen fluorescent light would not come on. I replaced both tubes and it worked fine. I turned it off that night, and the next morning it would not come on again. I can take the tubes out and put them back in, and they will burn until I turn the light off, and then they will not come on again. Any idea what is wrong?

By Cahem from TX

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance
Best Answer

Something similar happend to my fluorescent light when I bought my house and it was the ballast that needed to be replaced. Not sure if it is the same as a starter but once it was replaced, never had a problem again.

If it's an older fluorescent light, it might be the starter that's the problem. It's a cylindrical-shaped thing inside the light, and you can see what it is and what it does here:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question337.htm

You can replace the starter, just as you could replace a bulb. I need to do this, myself, because my light's starter is buzzing annoyingly as it warms up.

When I worked in a school, the janitor often had to replace the ballast to get the lights to work properly. This is likely your problem. Check out the website WildIrish suggests, as it is not hard to do, based on watching the janitor do it!

Answer

I have two fluorescent light fixtures in my kitchen. One fixture with 5 bulbs works. I replaced all the bulbs on the other fixture, but it still does not work. What is the problem?

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I also recommend changing the starter and especially before spending extra money for a new fixture. A starter is a small part that is very inexpensive. Go to a hardware store and ask to speak to someone who will explain how to change it. If the starter turns out to not be the problem you can always return it with it's original packaging.

Read More Answers...
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalOctober 11, 2010
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent), A light bulb.
Disposing of Light Bulbs (Incandescent)
Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Buying and Using Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 10, 2016 at 11:06:09 PM on 10.0.0.224 in 293 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.