Fluorescent Light With New Bulbs Does Not Turn On

By Cahem 1

My kitchen fluorescent light would not come on. I replaced both tubes and it worked fine. I turned it off that night, and the next morning it would not come on again. I can take the tubes out and put them back in, and they will burn until I turn the light off, and then they will not come on again. Any idea what is wrong?

By Cahem from TX

Filter Sort

By Roseanna 79 Flag

Something similar happend to my fluorescent light when I bought my house and it was the ballast that needed to be replaced. Not sure if it is the same as a starter but once it was replaced, never had a problem again.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 Flag

If it's an older fluorescent light, it might be the starter that's the problem. It's a cylindrical-shaped thing inside the light, and you can see what it is and what it does here:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/question337.htm

You can replace the starter, just as you could replace a bulb. I need to do this, myself, because my light's starter is buzzing annoyingly as it warms up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Louise B. 6 2,509 Flag

When I worked in a school, the janitor often had to replace the ballast to get the lights to work properly. This is likely your problem. Check out the website WildIrish suggests, as it is not hard to do, based on watching the janitor do it!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Question: Fluorescent Fixture Does Not Work

I have two fluorescent light fixtures in my kitchen. One fixture with 5 bulbs works. I replaced all the bulbs on the other fixture, but it still does not work. What is the problem?

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

I also recommend changing the starter and especially before spending extra money for a new fixture. A starter is a small part that is very inexpensive. Go to a hardware store and ask to speak to someone who will explain how to change it. If the starter turns out to not be the problem you can always return it with it's original packaging.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Home and Garden Repair Home ElectricalOctober 11, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A hand holding an incandescent bulb.
Using Incandescent Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Bulb
Buying and Using Compact Fluorescent Bulbs
Compact Fluorescent Lightbulb
Disposing of Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
Fixing Fluorescent Lights
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:30:20 PM on 10.0.0.140 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestionsAnswers
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings