Allergy Friendly Punch Recipe

There are several people with allergies invited to a party. I need a punch recipe that has no citrus, alcohol, or milk, and that is not red in color. I know of nothing that does not have one of these.

By Randa from San Marcos, TX

You could try a pineapple based punch, or a tea based punch w/ lots of berries, etc. Have a fun party!

I had Sprite and white grape juice punch at a wedding and it was very good. I don't believe you can make a 'slushy' punch out of it but chilled and mixed together, it works.

Simply take any punch recipe and improvise by taking out the offending ingredient. The most difficult thing to take out is a citrus component since the sourness makes it taste fruity. The removal of alcohol, red coloring and milk is easy.

You must ask what about citrus makes them allergic (btw, many people are merely intolerant and not allergic). Is it the citric acid? If so, your options are nearly non-existent since most fruits have citric acid to some degree. And all punches contain fruit,

I was going to suggest a pina colada (pineapple juice, coconut cream, and maybe sparkling water/ginger ale) but pineapples have citric acid. And so do many sodas. Coconut cream/milk are safe though since they're non-dairy.

Your best bet is to forget about the an all-in-one punch and lay out different soft drinks for your guests to choose from depending on their own allergies/intolerances. I personally love Arizona drinks because they're refrereshing, all natural and inexpensive (99 cents per 24 oz can).

Again, keep in mind that if they're allergic to citric acid, your options are very limited. Most sodas, i.e. Sprint, have citric acid. As do many, if not most, fruits. I see varying answers about grapes. Melons seem to be safe, including the very watery watermelon. Don't quote me though. Nor should you trust anyone on ThriftyFun or any non-academic website. Allergies are a matter of life and death, and a single anaphylatic reaction could kill your guests. Few things can mess up a party as much as a dead guest. Worst, you'll first have to watch the person struggle with breathing.

Once again, see if your guest are truly allergic (which involves a cellular response) or merely intolerant. For example, some people are merely lactose intolerant while others have true milk allergies. An intolerance may result in a stomach ache, gas, flatulence,etc while an allergy may result in anaphylatic shock, i.e. the inability to breath due to swelling of the windpipes.

You might want to have some Benadryl at this party, and possibly, an Epi-pen.

Here's a webpage from someone who can't ingest citric acid. Take it as a VERY general guideline and consult an allergist or nutritionist at your local medical center. WikiAnswers is FULL of dangerously wrong replies and there's no way to correct them. It's just a matter of time before a massive lawsuit is slapped on them.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/I_can%27t ... h_fruits_don%27t_contain_citric_acid

Freeze mashed banana, pineapple juice until slushy, add ginger ale or lemon-lime drinks. Yummy!

It really doesn't have to be punch does it? Perhaps you could check out the ingredients for frozen pineapple and/or grape juice to make sure there are no citrus or red dye preservatives in it and that way you're simply serving fruit juice made with water. One frozen juice that is really, really yummy is Bacardi Pina Colada so check the ingredients in that too.

Were you going to be serving *just* punch? I was thinking you could make a couple different punches, or as someone else suggested, just offer an assortment of non-punch drinks. You could have some sodas, tea, some juice, etc.

Anyone who is allergic should know to ask if they are suspicious. I don't think you need to try to come up with a one-size-fits-all punch. Even if you find a recipe that doesn't have any of the listed ingredients, that doesn't mean everyone will enjoy it (this could happen at any party). So having alternatives to offer seems like a safe bet to me. Good luck, and I hope your party goes well!

I posted a comment yesterday for you and it disappeared so here it is again:

And now the original comment is magically back along with Mrs.Story's that had also disappeared. LOL!

Food and Recipes Recipes Beverages PunchJuly 10, 2011
Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
Wedding Punch Recipes
A glass of Champagne Punch.
Champagne Punch Recipes
Dog Eating Food From Bowl
Determining Pet's Food Allergy by Elimination Diet
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material, A box filled with packing peanuts.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging Material
🎄