Painting Gold Earrings

I have lots of old cheap gold earrings. I would like to find a way to paint them. I used gold spray paint but that only lasts for a few days and the jewelry started to have an funny smell, kind of like rusty. Can you advise me on what would be good to use. Also I did not know if I should Use some type of sealant. -Lonnie George

I have used fingernail polish to paint earrings. If you want to paint them gold though, I would seal first with clear nail polish and then try spraying again.

Actually, you could spray paint first then seal with either clear polish or spray sealer.

Check with the local hardware store to see which paint and sealer is the best for the type of material your earrings are made of.

Gold nail polish,even the glittery kind,then seal with a coat of clear.

I went to a local craft store for that same reason, hoping they'd have some gold touch-up paint for jewelry. They didn't. But I went down another aisle and found "liquid leaf" paint which is a liquid version of "gold leaf" used in crafts. It works great and without any sealant.

A few days after painting I dipped it in my jar of jewelry cleaner and no change! The only drawback is that it's not a real brilliant shine, it's more like a "brushed" gold finish but not real dull either.

Hope that helps

A jewelry box with rings, necklaces and other pieces of jewelry.
Saving Money on Jewelry
Home and Garden Repair Other JewelryDecember 8, 2004
Craft: Jump Ring Earrings
Making Jump Ring Earrings
making earrings
Making Recycled Earrings
A shiny pile of gold chains, rings and other jewelry
Cleaning Gold Jewelry
Cash for Gold
Selling Gold Jewelry For Cash