Layered Look T-Shirt/Blouse

Want to update your tops? Grab your husband's old T-shirts that you are now using for rags!

Approximate Time: 1 Hour

• 4 inches of old T-shirt
  • blouse or T-shirt
  • matching thread

Instructions:

Cut four inches from the bottom of an old t-shirt. (Generally the bottom part is still in great condition.) You will want to use the existing hem as the hem to the bottom of your update layered T-shirt/blouse.)

After cutting the four inch strip of white t-shirt, use one inch for a hem. Fold the hem toward the finished edge of the white t-shirt. (By folding over you will have a 1/2 inch hem and a nice finished line with no raggedy edging.

Pin to the inside of the peach shirt so you are able to sew on to the sewing thread line for the existing hem of the blouse.

As you can see in the picture, I have hand stitched the side seam for a clean look.

Enjoy!

By Tedebear from San Jose, CA

This is a great idea! I've had a couple shirts shrink in the laundry, the top part still fits but the length is too short. This is a great fix so I can still wear them. Thanks!

This is a great idea, but it made me smile for an altogether different reason. My husband wears a small and I an extra large. I can just imagine trying to squeeze into my t-shirt after I've sewn the hem of his old t-shirt onto the bottom! :-)

Probably work if I sewed two of his skinny little t-shirt hems together to make them twice as long...

It's rough being married to a naturally skinny man!

:-) :-) :-)

This is a great idea. Thanks so much.

tee hee, I agree with Janet (about my size)..would also be good if one t-shirt got a stain on it, you could save the bottom.....but I have a teenage daughter that loves that stuff and the prices in stores is pricey so will be trying this..thanx for sharing :0)

GREAT idea

My daughter and her friends all wear EXPENSIVE layered t's. Though, I would use the rest of the white t shirt as longer sleeves underneath. You can get really creative with the types of sleeves you make

Another t shirt thing is something I did for my granddaughter. Take a white t shirt and fabric to trim the sleeves. Usually I make pants or shorts to match the sleeve trim. I used bandana trim on the sleeves of a white tee and then made a bandana skirt from 2 more bandanas. She was a toddler at the time. Just sew 2 bandanas together and use elastic for the waist. I have also used bandana trim on the bottom of the legs of too short pants.

We have a wholesaler nearby where I can get kid sized tees for 2 bucks each. Bandanas are less than 2 bucks each.