Request For Hot Water Cornbread Recipe

I would like a recipe for hot water cornbread that makes it crispy (not hard) on the outside and cooked on the inside. Please be specific with cooking directions. I have tried to make this several times and I am doing something wrong. Thanks so much!

TexasDarling from East Texas

Corn Bread

1 tbsp shortening

3/4 c boiling water

1 c cornmeal

1 tsp salt.

Melt shortening in a heavy iron skillet

Place cornmeal and salt in a bowl. pour boiling water over them, add melted shortening, and stir well.

When mixture is cool enough to handle, divide into 4 portions, shape into cakes, and bake in skillet 40-50 minutes at 450 degrees.

I don't know how to make it crispy on the top, unless you would maybe run it under the broiler after it is baked. But the bottom and sides are easy. Bake your favorite cornbread recipe in a 9 inch cast iron skillet that has been preheated in the oven for about 10 minutes. The sides and bottom will be slightly crunchy and nicely browned. Serve immediately.

Here ya go - crispy on the outside, moist on the inside.

Pour a tbsp or so of oil in a small cast iron skillet (if using a large skillet, double the following ingred); place skillet in a cold oven and set to 450deg. In a bowl mix:

>1cp self-rising cornbread

>1 egg (optional, I prefer it myself)

>salt to taste, I usually put 3-4 dashes

>if you like a lot of rise, you can add a couple of

dashes of baking powder

>buttermilk, enough to moisten

Stir together mixing well; add enough water to make it soupy. When oven reaches 450, carefully remove skillet, pour mixture into hot grease, and return to oven. Bake for 10-15min or until center sets. Remove from oven, flip, and return to oven, turning off heat. Let sit to crisp the other side of your bread, around 8-10 min. Turn out onto plate and cut into wedges. Can also be made in a muffin tin, just place a few drops of oil into each cup and cut baking time a little. Hope you enjoy this - it's great with a plateful of country veggies, a bowl of veggie soup, etc.

I accidentally discovered that using Coconut MILK cut with the same amount of warm water according to amount of liquid on box/package recipe works very

well inside and out. I love to add chopped garlic chives and fresh rosemary for variation. Also, I use

Peanut Oil and heat it 5 min. prior to adding mixture, for crispness. The cornmeal is wonderfully sweet and tasty with a fine texture. I used to cook like in the South, with bacon grease, until I learned

of the risk factors to health years ago. It's all in the flavor of your own preference.

Good luck and God bless cooks! : )

I use self rising cornmeal. Pour boiling water into cornmeal, then beat egg in separate cup and add to corn meal mixture (make sure you add egg last or it will cook when you pour the hot water on it) making it slightly thicker than pancake mixture. Using a hot skillet with oil enough to cover bottom of skillet, drop lge spoonful of cornmeal mixture into hot oil. Cooking on top of stove over med. heat until brown on the bottom and turn and finish cooking until brown on the other side. You will have a crispy outside and soft done inside.

Hot water corn bread is never made with flour. You may add half tsp baking powder if you like along with corn meal (yellow or white), boiling water, and a little salt.

Form into pods that are about 4 inches long and about half inch thick. For better flavor, fry on medium high heat in a hot cast iron skillet with bacon grease.

Fry on both sides until deep golden, and drain on brown paper bags or paper towels.

Slather butter on the hot cakes and serve immediately. Also good in the mornings with some syrup and butter.

Cornbread Muffins
Cornbread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads CornbreadMarch 20, 2007
Chili Cheese Cornbread
Chili Cheese Cornbread Recipes
A basket of cornbread muffins.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipes
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎉
🎄