Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Staying on Medicaid After Marriage

Medicaid eligibility is based on income. Marriage and the resulting change in income may make someone ineligible. This is a guide about staying on Medicaid after marriage.

December 31, 2008 Flag

Marriage after Medicaid in Florida: My fiance and I are engaged when we found out I am expecting. I chose to get on Medicaid since I work part time and job doesn't provide health insurance and we did not have a date set for marriage. He wanted to get me on his insurance but could not be done because we are not married. I did get Medicaid and WIC.

I wanted to know if I would be penalized in some way, by staying on Medicaid after marriage. Would they check on that later in the state of Florida or not? I couldn't find anything on it. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Terri from Florida

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

For the sake of your baby's health just wait until after your baby's birth to get married and maybe even for a year after if necessary. Although untimely, what has happened has happened and you both need to think of your little one having a good and healthy beginning. Commitment to each other in the heart is much more important than a hastily signed piece of paper in order to be/appear proper.

After the birth, should you plan to marry right away, you will need to find out how long it will be before your baby is covered on his policy. Talk to your case worker now and in the future honestly about your complete situation and questions. Weigh the options carefully before making a decision.

my advice, dont get married.. let medicaid pay for the cost of the delivery..you can qualify for so much help as long as the two of you dont get married..maybe later when the baby gets older and your on your feet and you love each other then get married..you dont need a piece of paper to prove you love each other..

I was on medicaid and Wic while I was married and preg. Wic will help you with milk cheese and eggs and a few other things then they will help with the formula when the baby is born or they will change your couchers to give you more things if your breast feeding. Also I was able to be on medicaid while I was preg cause they go off of income. now if your boyfriend makes to much that will hurt you but you have to remember they will go off of whoever is living in the house weather your married or not.

Puerto Rico is not another country. Puerto Ricans are American citizens.

WIC kept me on six months after a miscarriage, I believe they treat you as an individual from the git-go, and any increase in financial aspect is ok. MedicAid will keep you on but becomes a secondary insurance. A supplement to your New Insurance policy.

I don't know about Florida but here in MA as long as you are pregnant you would be covered by his insurance because they're taking care of the baby. And the baby would be covered as soon as he or she is born. Definitely look into that.

Don't know about Nedicaid, but I was pregnant when I switched from my insurance to my husbands and they took me, I was concerned as being flagged as a "pre existing condition" so I called and asked lots of questions. You need to get on the phone and get married and make it happen! Good luck.

Yes, they will cut your food stamps and make your boyfriend get info from his boss, but they will not take medicade away. I lived in FL and had 3 children on medicade and as long as your honest with them, he will not have to pay it back. Unless hes a very very well off guy, or if not working, they'll make him get a job which wouldn't hurt anyway, so honesty is the best policy.

I live right at the poverty line. I don't get medicaid or food stamps. It gets me when I see married folks with kids going and buying the new tvs and going out to eat and they are on medicaide. These are friends mind you so I know what is going on.

Business and Legal Legal General AdviceFebruary 21, 2017
Someone dusting the corner of a room with a duster.
Keeping Your House Dusted
Refrigerator
Refrigerator is Not Staying Cold
Losing Weight After Having a Baby, Woman in Red Coat Walking Her Baby Stroller in the Park
Losing Weight After Having a Baby
Marriage License
Getting a Marriage License
👒
🐰
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 20, 2017 at 5:55:31 PM on 10.0.1.191 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.