Use Panty Liners for Bandages

My hubby recently had surgery. Instead of buying the expensive gauzes and tapes for changing bandages, use panty liners or thin maxi pads, keeping the paper on the sticky side. Use roll tape from a pharmacy to hold in place. The panty liners are like $2.00 a box of 20, versus $10 for 2 plastic bandages.

By Janice from Arab, AL.

Anonymous

That's a thrifty idea, but keep in mind the pads are not sterile.

Gauze pads are packaged and sold as sterile, which can be important in wound care, particularly if the patient is diabetic.

Paper products are considered "essentially sterile for first aid", due to the heat of the steam used in making them. At least that's what I was told! Good thrifty idea, I'll remember that!

I used to supervise an extended care program for a private school. I had a Houston Firefighter to come over and teach first aid and cpr to the people who worked with me. He told us that mini or maxi pads or panty liners were perfectly safe and acceptable for first aid purposes.

WoW ! good one !

I was told here by a nurse that her spouse & sons that mow tie the big hospital non sticky type (vintage kind you would need a belt for) to their heads to sop sweat !

It might look a little "batty" but hey !

whatever works!

right ?! :)

Unless full sterile precautions are used, once a bandage is removed from its sterile packaging, it is merely "clean."

This is a very good idea. I will certainly steal it.

This is one suggestion that I hope everyone discusses with their doctor before they try it, especially when it involves diabetic care. It could be a terrific idea, or it could be dangerous. So to be on the safe side, talk to a medical professional.

My son had a pilonidal cyst a few years ago and after his surgery (which went almost to the bone) the hospital had him wear a maxipad in that area to soak up blood from the wound. The area was packed with gauze provided by the hospital and then covered the maxipad (the kind that needed pins to attach).

Janice,another suggestion...I'm retired from the Sheriffs dept.back then and now in my own car.I got one of those inexpensive blanket throws in that zippered bag,inthere also is a store brand bag of maxi&mini pads and a pillow.Sure comes in handy if u come apond an accident..My 1st time using them was when a car plowed into us..leaving me needing what I carried for years(of course not the same stuff for all those years)

I have been a nurse for many years and a mother of 4. I have always used the nice thick soft pads for wounds and I have also seen them used in wound care in hospitals and nursing homes.