Save Lukewarm Water for Your Plants

While waiting for hot water from your sink to get hot, place a milk jug under the faucet to collect water. Use this water to water plants, pets, etc. You'll be surprised with how much water you've collected.

By MOMOF1 from Wilksboro, NC

You are SOOO right! ... It seems so simple, I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner! ... Why not fill up the coffee maker, or a large pot for making pasta whi;e you're at it! ... But, using the water for your pets & to water plants is the greatest idea! ... I bet we waste A WHOLE LOT of water, just waiting for tap water to warm up!

---> In Japan's bathrooms, they have small sinks that sit directly on top of their toilet's tanks, so when you wash your hands, you re-fill the toilet tank with the water you used to wash with... What a GREAT idea!

I wonder why we have nothing like this in America?

* Back in the day, I lived on land for several years on & off with no plumbing or running water. When you have to haul water 5 miles up a dirt road for your family (& 4 horses), It's amazing just how careful you are to conserve, & how little you can use & still live comfortably!

Please know that if you have a water softner that uses salt, you cannot use it to water plants as it may kill them. Just pour it in your washer instead. I do this and you won't believe the amount of $ we save on our water bill!

We leave a bucket by the bathtub. We collect enough water during the day to flush the toilet with it

I do this a lot as our water heater is WAY in the opposite end of our kitchen and it takes so long for hot water to reach the kitchen sink..we have a water softener as well, the water will not hurt the plants if you don't pour it directly onto the leaves.

I concur. In my old house it takes forever so I fill up coffeepots which are the only size I can fit under the faucet.

All the plants appreciate it.

Such a great easy way to conserve! We are going through a drought here and many counties are doing a watering band. So this is a great way to water those thirsty outdoor plants!

This is an AWESOME idea! I am happy to report that my new home has a refrigerator that makes both ice and water, so I thought my days of the "water jug refills" were done but I have 3 dogs and a cat (and a snake). So, great water saving idea!

Thank you for this idea. I cringe everytime I have to wait for hot water. I have pets and plants that can use that water, also another person said to put it in your washer. That is great, too. Some day we will have wars over water, not oil.

Back in my youth, we washed dishes in an old dishpan. When through with the dishes, and the water was cooled down. we carryed it out to the garden and slung it on the plants - the soap washed the bugs off and the grease in the dishwater kept them off

I have been doing this at our Florida Home for the past couple of years. We are in severe drought conditions there. I do not use the dishwasher. Such a waste for 2 people. My shrubs seem to thrive on the soapie water. I manage aboout 3 to for gallons of gardening water per day from sinks & showers. It may seem silly to some but once the potable water is gone we will be in real trouble. Use wisely and sparingly