AdviceCrafts

Adhering Clip Art to Fabric

My daughter loves Betty Boop and I was wondering if there is a way that I can cut out clip art of Betty and adhere it to fabric. There is a chair in her room that I had planned to recover the seat on. Then it hit me, what a cute valentine's day gift if I could cover the fabric with different Betty Boop pictures. If any of you guys can help me it would be greatly appreciated. I love this site, because we receive and give great ideas and advice. Thanks and take good care.

Linda from NYC

You might try printing the clip art out on transfer printing paper. You can buy it generally next to the regular printer paper, and it works great for t-shirts and other clothing items, so it would probably work okay for the chair, the only problem would be the amount of wear that a chair seat gets. Good luck!

I do this method allot on fabrics mostly white t-shirts or white cloth that I have made into totes. The post before mine is correct>you buy the speacial print paper for it at walmart or staples. Just remember that it works best to put the design onto white or light color fabrics (dark ones do not show it) and if possible 100% cotton works best. When you print your image onto the paper remember that it will come out and iron on in a mirror image and so if you have words on it they will be backwords so remember to flip them first so that when it is printed it will iron on to the fabric it the right direction. And its important to use a dry iron (no steam) and it works well. The hotter it is the better and you will need to peel your design paper off asap after you have heated that section. They give directions on the speaciallty paper. You can add your own font to it too whlie its in your art program to personnelize it, just remember to flip your text or it will go on backwards. BTW> walmart has the generic brand of the iron on transfer sheets (in the office supply section) which is cheaper made by avery.

I would suggest going to walmart or a fabric store and buying some betty boop fabric. It would be cheaper and less time consuming then transferring numerous pics onto fabric ( which you may have to buy anyways if you are recovering the chair ). If you can, what about making a slipcover with BB fabric or plain fabric and make pillows for the chair with Betty Boop fabric. Or you can stencil. Just print up a picture of betty boop onto freezer/butcher paper ( only wax on one side ), cut out the black parts of the picture, iron to the fabric and use textile paint.

Does it make a difference if the printer is inkjet or laser?

I use inkjet and it has always worked perfect for the iron on paper designs

Do not use a laser printer unless the paper you purchase says specifically that it is made for laser printers. Laser printers use a different method of printing which involves heat and the iron on paper could melt in your printer.

Also, I have seen some commercial fabric with Betty Boop on it, just do a search for "Betty Boop + fabric" and you'll find several sites selling some. Good luck!

I've been experimenting with computer printer fabric. Comes in letter size packages. Put it through your inkjet printer like a piece of paper. A package of 10 sheets was under 10 dollars. I'm turning a couple of photos (adding border fabric) into pillow tops. Just about the same price as photo paper, and you can sew or applique it to something.