Cancelling AOL Service

Here's a link to an audio clip that has been making the rounds. It's audio of a guys convsation with an AOL representative while he's trying to cancel his account. It would be a lot funnier if I hadn't had these types of conversations myself.

You can listen to the audio file at the link below.

http://media.putfile.com/AOL-Cancellation

AOL isn't the only company with seemingly hostile customer service. T-mobile, supposedly the best for customer service among wireless providers, has been very difficult for me to deal with. My best tip for dealing with these type of phones calls is use speaker phone, get a nice cup of tea and try to relax.

Fisher

If you have any tips for dealing with annoying customer service calls when trying to cancel service, feel free to post them below.

If I was that guy trying to cancel AOL, I would've taken note of names, dates and times and then hung up. After which I would've written a letter detailing my difficulty canceling and sent it CERTIFIED mail to the CEO of AOL, cc the FCC and my state's attorney general. THAT should get someone's attention!!

I had the same experience. The lady kept saying, "In order for me to help you, you have to help me first. What is the problem?" I had to keep saying I just want to stop my service over and over again. I refused to give her any details to work with, although I had plenty of complaints.

Then she went into, "I'm sorry you've been experiencing difficulties with your service. This is what we can do...." I kept saying I just want to stop my service.

Finally, I said, "Since you can't stop my service as requested, let me speak to a supervisor who can."

She then rattled off a service termination code so fast, I couldn't write it down, and she tried to end the call. I had to tell her to wait a minute and repeat the code. So maybe that was the secret- to ask to speak to a supervisor. At that point, she couldn't wait to get rid of me!

Yes, it's always a good idea to keep detailed notes and then report to the proper authorities. Don't forget to add the BBB (Better Business Bureau) and the FTC(Federal Trade Commission) in addition to the others mentioned in Cheryl's post.

IT IS ALL THE SAME NO MATTER WHERE YOU GO. I RECENTLY HAD SOMEONE FROM A CHARITY CALL WANTING MONEY, I TOLD THEM I WASN'T ABLE TO DONATE THE $25 THEY WERE ASKING FOR. SO THEY ASKED COULD I DONATED ANYTHING?I TOLD THEM NO NOT AT THIS TIME I WOULDN'T BE ABLE TO HELP THEM SO THEN THEY ASKED COULD I DONATED $12? I SAID NO, NOT AT THIS TIME THEY ASKED "YOU CAN'T DONATE $12?" I SAID"WHAT PART OF THIS CONVERSATION ARE YOU NOT UNDERSTANDING??AND SIMPLY HUNG UP ON THEM. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR PEOPLE TO COMPREHEND THAT YOU DON'T WANT THEIR PRODUCT OR CAN'T DONATE TO CHARITIES.....AND THEY WONDER WHY CONSUMERS GET RUDE...

Consumer AdviceJune 22, 2006
AOL Email
Troubleshooting Problems With AOL Email
A child playing with a nanny.
Name Ideas for a Nanny Service
Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Advice on Canceling Cable and Phone Service
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
🎄