Homemade Heat Packs for Children

I would like to make a bean or rice heat pack, but I have a few questions. What fabric should you use? Are they safe for children? How long do you microwave them? I wanted to make them for my nephews for Christmas, who are both just under two years old. I worry about them chewing on them. I wanted to make a 2-D pattern of an animal. Any good suggestions on shapes or cut outs to use?

Kayc from Rochester, MI

Flannel is great for making heatpacks and yes, they're safe for kids! Don't worry too much about them chewing on them. The worst that might happen is they'll swallow a few grains of rice, or get some of the rice wet... then all you have to do is replace the rice.

I've made several when my husband's cousins had their babies. I mixed a little lavender withthe rice.

It's easy to cut out a teddy bear shape.. or gingerbread man... keep the shape simple!

Then simply fill it with rice, stitch it shut and you're done. Microwave them for 1-2 minutes depending on the size of them. Practice in your own Microwave before you give them then you'll have a better idea of the time.

I've also made them our of the fleece everyone uses for blankets, old blankets, socks (patterened for looks... are great for necks!)

Have fun and enjoy!

hello! I have made these using mens hunting socks and buying the beans at Dollar General because they have large cheap bags.I have also used regular white tube socks.The hunting socks are my favorite.As for heating them,that's up to the individual.I heat mine for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.My husband has actually put his in the freezer and then puts it on his neck.For using material...how about those nice soft print blankets.Just cut the size you want and sew it together.Good luck.

I have used oven mitts and 2 potholders sewn together and rice seems to work best as it delivers a moist heat. The insulation of the oven mitts/pads keeps the heat longer.

One caution with microwaving these. They get hottest in the center and you may not be able to tell how hot they are. A friend of mine had one for her husband. It was under the covers on his leg. He said it was way too hot and smelled smoke, but until he threw back the covers, they didn't know it was on fire! It burned through two of three blankets, a mattress pad, and into the mattress. They had to pour water on it to put it out. I have started heating mine by placing them on top of a stack of cast iron cookware that is on top of our woodstove. It never overheats that way. Stay safe!

Hi Kayc,

I make and sell the rice bags and I make them out of fleece, then microwave them 2-3 minutes. You get a nice moist heat with the fleece and you can find all kinds of patterns. You can also put them in the freezer for the little boo boos the little ones have. Make them any size you want. I make most of mine for adults and they are 12 inches by 12 inches. Good luck from another Michigander, Barb

Homemade Heat Packs
Make Your Own MiscellaneousNovember 19, 2008
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad
Making Microwave Heating Pads
🎄