Cleaning Sticky Residue from a Mirror

Category Glass
Cleaning sticky residue from a mirror can be trying. This is a guide about cleaning sticky residue from a mirror.

I bought a large wall mirror and after removing the label there's a sticky residue that I can't take off. I tried alcohol and nail polish remover. Thanks

By Letty

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Anonymous

As an educational assistant at a school, I have discovered that hand sanitizer will remove sticky labels from the desk, counters and other surfaces. Place a medium sized dab of hand sanitizer onto the sticky surface, allow to sit for 10 minutes; use a stiff scrubber to clean the area.

Try using GooGone. Just dab it on and let it sit for a few seconds (30). It comes right off!

WD 40 works to get sticky off also.

You can heat the label with your hair dryer and then rub residue off with alcohol. I use it all the time.

Vegetable oil. Rub on, let it sit, scrape off. Clean with soap to remove oil.

You can try the antibacterial hand gel that evaporates. If that doesn't work a product called "Goof Off" will. You can find it at Walmart, Home Depot, Lowes, etc.

Try GooBGone. Works for me.

These are both very good, GooGone and Goof Off. If the mirror is mounted vertically on a wall rub some on & don't let it run down. Let it sit and see if you need to rub a little more on it. If you can lay it on a flat surface would be better.

I got a small bottle of GooGone at Dollar Tree and Goof Off at Big Lots. I swear by both of these.

Brake parts cleaner works instantly and you just wipe it off with a rag

Any idea how to remove scotch tape residue from a mirrored wall?

Kris from Randolph, MA

To get adhesive or residue of tape off of something, I use a Magic Rub Eraser. You can buy them at office supply stores, art supply stores, and sometimes Walmart. Depending on how bad the residue is, you may have to work on it for awhile to get it come off, but it will come off.

http://www.offi  ub-Eraser-White/

Use a product called "goo gone" you can get at any hardware store -- cheaper, but more time consuming is to use butter or anything oily to break down the adhesive and then Windex to clean up the residue. Good luck

Have you tried nail polish remover? I personally have had good luck with it. It had no problem removing duct tape residue or electrical tape residue. Nail polish remover is one of my favorite cleaners great for ink stains!

Scrape with a razor blade held sort of flat and then clean with glass cleaner.

Try WD-40.

The cheapest way: Use cooking oil. Rub it on thick with a rag. Dab it really well. Let it set then use a clean cloth or plastic spoon to scrape it off. Then use some vinegar and water in a spray bottle just like Windex to clean off the oil. Good luck. Tammie

For adhesive on anything, use lighter fluid on a small piece of cotton or p. towel, then clean with dish soap or whatever. If it's stubborn, some commercial adhesive is really think & dense, just let a little fluid soak it for a bit, then use the cotton ball soaked with lighter fluid. Just use a very small piece of cotton or paper towel, cause the bigger it is, the more lighter fluid you need. If it gets coated with the adhesive, use a new piece. It works better than polish remover or anything else I've tried. Haven't found any adhesive that can't be removed with it, have done it for over 30 years.

Use hand sanitizer. The residue will come right off and the mirrors will sparkle. ~Janette~

I use just plain alcohol with a cotton ball or tissue to remove tape residue from many things it works well on scissors too.

Plain old rubbing alcohol works great. I use cotton balls & just rub it away.

Tammy

How do I clean tape residue off mirrors? Tape was used on the mirrors in china cabinet. The tape was removed, but residue remains.

By Joyce

Use rubbing alcohol to remove the stickiness. I use the swabs. Works great!

Any kind of cooking oil will resolve the tape residue. I put some on a cotton ball or paper towel and rub it around and soon the gooey tape residue comes loose then wash as usual.

Try using a dryer sheet. It will clean the sticky gunk left by fabric softener in your washer. And I used it to clean gum stuck inside the drum of my dryer. It might work on your mirror. Worth a try!