Drive Slower To Save Gas

My commute to work is approximately 19 miles. Where I live, gas prices are between $3.19 - $3.39 per gallon. I've found that driving between 5-10 miles under the speed limit has helped stretch my gas a little bit. Even more when I drive at 45 mph.

Although it does tend to offend drivers, I try not to let it bother me because I know I'm saving gas as well as money!

I agree. everyone tends to blame the people with trucks or suv's for causing the higher gas prices but I see way to many people flying down the interstate doing 75-85 mph just to get somewhere a few minutes sooner

People should drive the speed limit....no slower, no faster. Being stuck behind someone that's going under the speed limit is annoying.

Just be careful not to cause an accident by driving too much slower than everybody else. Especially on a limited access highway.

I, too, have slowed down, but not quite as much as you. On my commute, the speed limit varies between 55 and 65 - I set my cruise control on 55 and leave it there. Since I stay in the right-hand lane, people going 65 and over can easily go around me. I've found that I really get to my destination almost as soon as if I'd gone faster, and I know I'm saving on gas. God bless you!

Barbara, I'm with you, mostly. I drive just under the posted speed limit when I can. Sometimes you have to keep up with the traffic flow, of course, but often you can stay in the righthand lane on 4-lane highways and stick to 45 or so for a few miles. Of course you have to watch traffic around you at all times. That's just being a good driver.

I also recently found a website that lists so-called "speed traps." I found where they are in my area: they are where the most speed-related "accidents" occur. I hear the rescue and police sirens every weekend, and I have come to believe that there's no such thing as a speed-related "accident." It's no accident.

Photo of someone pumping gas.
Saving Money on Gas
Consumer Advice Cars Saving On GasJune 18, 2007
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Father teaching his son to drive
Teaching a Teen to Drive
Driving on Snowy Roads, Cars driving on a snowy road.
Driving on Snowy Roads
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎉
🎄