Homemade Saline Solution for Asthma

I am asthmatic and I use saline water. Do I need to get it from the chemist or can I use one of your recipes? Thanks for any help you can give me. I mix this with Ventolin solution.

By Mary Kathleen

Best Answer

I was going to say the same thing as fatboyslimsmom. I too have to use solutions for breathing using a nebulizer and would never dream of taking the chance of a lung infection from a non-sterile product and also what if you accidentally did not mix the exact correct amounts. :-( I know all too well how expensive these medicines are, but please be safe and get them from your chemist. Saving a bit of money is not worth risking a long stint in the hospital or possible death!

Best Answer

If you use unsterile saline solutions you risk obtaining a bacterial infection or it can even worsen your asthma if it is caused by allergens. The sterile bottles of saline really are not that expensive either for the amount of use they get. Take care.

I am assuming that you mean to use with breathing treatments? You need to take extra care, as solutions used for breathing must be sterile. They are inhaled into the lungs, and can cause serious illnesses if not kept sterile.

The nebulizer set up and tubing must be kept clean at all times as well.

Home-made saline solution is made by mixing 1 teaspoon of salt with 1 quart of boiled distilled water.

Sterile solutions must be used when mixing with meds. Ask if your medication can be changed to the NO MIXING kind. My grandaughter's was the mix kind and I told them how expensive it was and they changed the format. NOT A PROBLEM.

Making home made saline solution for nasal washes also must follow a hygiene technique. It is better to mix on a daily use, rather than a quart a time, which then will be tossed. I use 1/4 tsp to 1/3 cup water, I just 'sniff' from my hand. Many techniques are taught from your allergist to which works the best and is the easiest for you. For away from home, I buy the generic bottle over the counter. Remember to clean that tip as well and toss after a respectable time due to contamination.

Daily use without illness/colds/sinus can go longer, remember the germs from your illness will stay on your bottle.

Saline Nose dropper.
Homemade Saline Nasal Spray
Health & Beauty Home RemediesJuly 24, 2010
Norelco Razor
Homemade Norelco Razor Cleaning Solution
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Closeup of hen and chicks.
Choosing the Right Groundcover
Blue gloved hand cleaning mold on shower walls with a toothbrush.
Homemade Mold and Mildew Surface Cleaner Recipes