Hot Caps For Delicate Seedlings

Using a gallon jug as a hot hat, what is a good time to plant tomatoes outside?

By Jim from Horseheads, NY

March 20, 2011 Flag

Make a mini greenhouse or "hot cap" for your tender vegetable transplants, using plastic one gallon milk jugs. Simply remove and discard the cap and cut the bottom out completely following the natural square shape of the jug. I use a very sharp pointed knife to make a nice clean, even cut. Place the jug over the transplant, pushing down just enough to press the bottom about 1/2 inch into the soil. Use some soil mounded slightly all the way around the outside bottom to anchor the jug in place and keep it from blowing away.

I have used these to give a good start and some early protection to all kinds of vegetable transplants. Generally, I use them to protect plants from days or nights that are either too cool or windy, or if there is a heavy damaging rainfall. I use a large tomato cage or two set right in the garden to conveniently store the jugs after removing them. That way, they are handy to put right back on when needed. Using these mini hot caps have allowed me to get tender plants out in the garden and rooted sooner than I could if I waited for perfect weather conditions.

By Linda from Hamlin NY

Home and Garden Gardening TransplantingMarch 20, 2011
Starting Seedlings
Starting Seedlings
aster seedlings
Keeping Seedlings From Dying
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub