Put Your Shredded Documents in a Paper Bag

I try to shred my junk mail and papers that have any ID information. I was putting the shredding into a Walmart bag, but that is not very green for the land fill, so now I put it into paper bags and staple the top. I would rather find a way to recycle it, but this is better than the plastic bag.

By Lee from OH

WoooHooo!! You Rock! I get so frustrated when people think that those plastic bags are harmless. They are anything but, as they take at least one hundred years to ever biodegrade. The planet thanks you and I do too!

We have a compost bin in the backyard. Shredded papers, not the slick paper ads, or funny papers with colored inks. Are useful to add to the compost too.The shredded paper composts too.

Add a layer of the shredded paper, a layer of good dirt, and then start a new layer of vegetable peelings, banana and other fruit peelings,egg shells, coffee grounds, even grass clippings can be put in the bin.

We have been surprised how quickly a layer of shredded paper helps everything turn into great compost.

Lee, well done. You can put the shredded paper into your compost bin, or dig it into the garden, it rots down easily.

I have been doing the same with 'junk' mail and any envelope that has my name & address on it. I don't staple the paper bag shut, but use scotch tape, as the recyclers pick the bags up [as opposed to dumping them onto the truck] and I don't want them to get stuck with a staple if it comes loose. Once a month I shop at Trader Joe's and bring in only a small cloth bag of my own; causing the remainder of my purchase to be put in one of their paper bags.

I am so glad that there are others out there that think like me...our resources are so finite and no1 even appears to get it..just throw another plastic drink cup in the trash can..I have really been trying, and this is one area where I had gone to taking my mail needing shredding to my workplace. They have a document destruction & recycling service, and although I know it may seem a bit unethical for me to add to the paper in the bins, at least I know it is confidentially shredded and then recycled instead of sitting in a plastic grocery bag for the next 100 years in the dump. Thanks for this tip, if my workplace idea isn't feasible when I change jobs someday...I will use this method

I do the same thing, only I use the shred filled paper bags as a fantastic fire starter in our woodstove. I usually run out of filled bags by the end of the heating season which prompts me to return to the unending task of going through our old files for more.

Check with your local animal shelter.

Many shelters welcome shredded paper.

I know the ones in my area do.

An idea I read somewhere - that after shredding papers - you could use them for fill in presents and gift bags, instead of buying it that way.

I use my shredded paper as mulch around plants that dry out quickly. Also some cats will use them as litter. Some cats won't accept it as litter, but it is worth a try.

If you cut out your name/address off before shredding the items, the shredded paper would be to pad packages for mailing.

I have a firend who is a chicken farmer, and she uses shredded paper for bedding for her chickens. If you have any farms nearby you could ask them.

Andy Rooney mails back the junk mail to the sender in those pre-paid return envelopes! Thereby ensuring they HAVE to pay for the postage twice. LOL. No, seriously, the earthworms love damp paper in the compost.

Use shredded paper for mulch in the garden.

As long as you are putting the shredded paper in paper bags why not put it in with your paper recycling?

Paper Shredding Tips
Paper Shredding Tips
Better Living Green Living RecyclingAugust 12, 2008
Shredded Paper
Making Shredded Paper for Crafts
Waste Bin Full of Shredded Paper
Recycling Shredded Paper
A woman reading a document.
Reading Poor Copies of Documents
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans
🎉
🎄