Purple Robe Locust Tree With a Split

I have a purple robe locust tree that the main trunk has split, but a 1/4 of the trunk is still intact. Can my precious tree be saved! We live in high wind area and I was planning on wrapping the split and putting stronger supports around the tree. Should I put vitamin B-12 on the split or roots due to this injury? Help!

Hardiness Zone: 9b

Rose from Corona, CA

The December 07 ice storm damaged our small birch tree (about 18 ft tall) We staked it back up and wrapped it. The tree is very much alive and has leafed out this spring. So, it is worth a try.

Don't use wraps for more than a couple months in winter, instead drill and put a bolt through the two parts to hold it together. An arborist here does this, saying that wraps only make a skinny ring around the trunk that is then prone to breaking again.

Home and Garden Gardening Trees Tree HealthMay 19, 2008
Split Tree
Saving a Split Tree
Cardboard Christmas tree photo from an earlier Thriftyfun project.
Making a Cardboard Christmas Tree
locust blossom
Growing Locust Trees