Home RemediesHealth & Beauty

Remedies for Swimmer's Itch

My daughter called from a lake she was at in MN and she said her daughter had swimmer's itch. She has used calamine and that has not helped her. I suggested soda. Does anyone know of a good way to treat it?

By Elaine from Near Cedar Rapids, IA

I was told swimmer's itch is caused by duck lice. Call the pharmacist.

See a doctor.

The child should be taken to a doctor.

My kids and I had it one year at our lake. We treated it with antihistamines for the itch. It is not a very serious condition. You likely do not need to see a doctor. For us, it was like a whole bunch of mosquito bites. Try Afterbite. It would not hurt to go to the drug store and see what they have for treating insect bites. It is pretty much the same type of thing.