Place Mat Handbags

contest winner icon

Here is a great craft idea that makes great gifts! I purchased 2 gorgeous place mats at Goodwill (2 for 99 cents) in a purple toile pattern. I placed them together and sewed around leaving an opening at the top and turned right side out. I then sewed on purchased bamboo handles (which I found on a purse I got for 50 cents at a thrift shop, I just removed the bag).

Voila! A really cool purse! You can use dollar store place mats. I am always on the lookout at Goodwill, etc for purses with these handles, a lot cheaper than buying them new. You can embellish these however you want. I have put a ribbon "rose" on one. I left this one as is because I didn't want to clash with the print.

By Carol from Landisville, PA

Very nice! How big of an opening do you leave to get 'into" the purse; same size as the handle? Do you just cut off excess fabric depending on the size of the place mats? Any other tips?

That is so cool! Great thinking!

That's just so cute! I liked it immediately, very nice! True ThriftyFun work.

That is beautiful! Very clever.

This is so cute - could you possibly elaborate on the pattern? I have some placemats that are "passed their prime" that could work, but I need more information.

Love the handbag! You are a girl after my own heart. REUSE DON'T REFUSE is my motto! I will be on the lookout for the bag handles at my local thrift stores too. Thanks for sharing!

This is, indeed, a wonderful idea. I have done this before and if you're lucky enough to get a set of 4 matching placemats, you can put pockets inside of the purse. I did mine with same material shoulder bag handles and a velcro closure. I love your idea of finding the handles off of old purses and reusing them, and the cost of it makes you even more proud to carry it. Thanks for sharing your idea.

You could also braid handles, or make twists for handles. Or even use some pretty ribbon or trim for the handles.