Homemade Adjustable Pom Pom/Tassel Maker

Debra Frick

This would make a wonderful Mother's Day gift for the yarn artist in your family and this is a fun project for the home wood shop person in your home. With some cheap materials, you can have this made in a short time and begin to enjoy added tassels and pom poms to your handmade hats, scarves and afghans. This is also a good way to recycle those wooden dowels that flags that hang outdoors come on, if yours got hit by a wind storm.

• 1 length of dowel, 1 inch dowel cut to 14 inches

• 1 length of dowel 1/2 inch cut into 2 pieces 8 1/2 inches long
  • 3 wooden balls

• 1 piece of heavy wood
    You can use a plaque from the craft store or a nice piece of wood that measures approximately 5/12 by 10 1/2 inches.
  • stain and varnish

1. On your base piece, drill a 1 inch hole three inches in from one edge of your base piece of wood. Drill all the way through the base.
  2. Clamp tower dowel to workbench and drill 12 evenly spaced 1/2 inch holes in dowel.
  3. With sandpaper wrapped around a pen, sand holes smooth.
  4. With a good brand of wood glue, glue tower into base.
  5. With sandpaper, flatten one side of one of the wooden balls and glue to top of tower.
  6. Now you are ready to make your pegs. Cut the 1/2 inch dowel into two pieces that are 8 1/2 inches long.
  7. Drill 1/2 inch hole into the two remaining balls and glue onto your pegs.
  8. Ad

9. Sand all pieces and then assemble.
  10. With pegs removed, stain and varnish.

To use, decide on what size you want and wrap yarn around the pegs. For pom pom: Tie off with a piece of yarn tightly in center of wrapped yarn. Slide off pompom and tassel maker. Cut loops and fluff.

For tassel: Slide yarn through loops on top peg and tie. Do a tassel tie at top of loops and then slide off of the pompom and tassel maker. Cut loops on the bottom and your tassel is done. Many different sizes can be made just by adjusting the pegs. Have fun!

Pom pom maker with two dowels in place.

About The Author: Debra Frick is a mother of 5 and a grandmother to 7 grandsons. She is a published author and poetress. Born in California, she now lives in Colorado Springs with her husband and many pets. Her hobbies include crocheting, reading, arts and crafts and bargain hunting.

Would it be possible for you to post a picture of the project? I can't quite follow the directions. Thanks so much.

Editor's Note: Whoops, we forgot to put up the picture. There is one. Sorry we left it out.

That is GENIUS!!!! I don't like making tassels or pompoms for my things cuz' they are such a pain in the rear! I even bought one of those pompom makers from Lion brand, it was crud!!!!!!!!! And homemade pompoms thrown in a can of catnip for a day or two would make GREAT kitty toys! I know MY kitties would love them!!!

I'm having my hubby make me one!

This totally rocks! I was gonna buy one premade, but will make my own at a fraction of the cost! Thank you so much for this post!

This is great. I used to have a plastic one many years ago but lost it years ago. Thanks for the pattern.

Hi, I use something similar to this when I used to make dolls and had to make hair with yard. I would stitch down the center in zigzag, then place it on the doll and stitch it there. This form has many uses.

with yarn. Sorry. Guess I should have said YARN HAIR BY THE YARD. Joyce

Homemade Tassel and Pom Pom Maker
Homemade Tassel and Pom Pom Maker
Crafts OtherApril 11, 2007
Pom Pom Rug
Making a Pom Pom Rug
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Making a Pom Pom Blanket Loom
Making a Pom Pom Blanket Loom
Making a Halloween Pom Pom Topiary
Making a Halloween Pom Pom Topiary