Poll: Do you shred credit card offers?

Today's poll asks: Do you shred credit card offers?

Related:

Feel free to post feedback about this poll in the feedback forum below.

I shred any credit card offers and if there is a toll free number on the offer, I also call and ask to be removed from their list. I remember even opting out of offers, I believe I had to call the credit reporting companies and followed their instructions. Also, when I receive those blank checks from some of my credit card companies, I call them and ask to be removed from that list also. They have been very good and did remove my name so that I do not receive any.

LI Roe

I don't shred credit card offers. I tear them up, write on them not interested, please stop sending, and I fill the postage-paid envelope as full as I can!

Does it work? I think so, my husband I get very few offers.

We shred EVERY SINGLE credit card offer. It took over 30 years paying off our credit cards, and well worth it. Now, we only use the debit card and if the money isn't there, we don't spend. I can't even begin to tell you just how wonderful that feels.

We live in the country so all credit card offers I get go into the burning barrel......good place for them because I do not use credit cards.....

I BURN THEM

No, I also do not shred the credit card offers. I do the same as Jill. I cross out my name with a large x, write a note saying 'remove me from your list' and stuff everything including the original envelope back into the postage paid envelope that they provided for me to use and send back to them the next time we are in town. We also get very little junk mail.

Another important tip about shredding/burning things like that is to do the same with your bank statements. I don't file mine because all of my bank info is kept in the register for my checkbook, I look over my statement to make sure everything is OK and then shred the statement. I had my bank account info stolen from me and someone accessed my account and put me in a lot of debt from it. Unfortunately it was a family member, but in a way I am glad that it was and not someone looking to steal my identity. I used to write a lot of checks for all of my bills, and when he stole money from my account it caused so many bounced checks it is unreal...I am still paying on them and almost went to jail for it! So, be sure to either lock them up or shred them as well. I am gonna have to try the whole mailing back the offers thing...

If you JUST tear the offers BEWARE--there is a recent stroy out there that an individual tore up HIS own application, changed the phone and address (to his parents address) and mailed it in. He received as new card. Easy for idenity theft to occur. I'd recommend shredding

We use a woodstove to heat our house so all our paper garbage goes into a paper bag to be burned. No personal documents ever go into the garbage that sits on the curb for pickup.

Here is a link on how to opt-out of these offers.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/prescreen.htm

Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
Shopping Online Without a Credit Card
using a credit card
Credit Card Tips and Tricks
A couple renting a car.
Renting a Car Without a Credit Card
Credit Report on Table
Raising Your Credit Score
🎉
🎄