Homemade Mitts for Cleaning Dog's Paws

With the rainy weather in Seattle, I (and every other dog owner I know) really have a problem with mud and dirt coming in on my dog's paws after they are outside. Keeping a towel by the back door to wipe them off worked, but I didn't like it sitting there at the door and having to frequently change it out for a new towel because it got so dirty from their muddy feet. When the old mud on it dried, I would have dried mud falling on the floor after using the towel a few times.

I went to the thrift store and bought several washcloths. I sewed two of them together to make "mitt". I made several of them and put them in a basket by the back door. As my dogs come in, I use the mitt to wipe off the mud. I turn it over and use the other side for the second dog's paws. I avoid the dried mud that used to be on the bigger old towel dropping off onto my floor, and do not have the unsightly dirty towel by the back door. Since I have several of the "mitts", it is easy to switch out a dirty one for a clean one when necessary. It is best to use darker colored wash cloths, they show less dirt. It is so much easier to wash them, I often just hand wash them and hang them to dry overnight, which saves me from using the washing machine, too.

As a gift a couple years ago for all my doggy friends, I made sets of two from new (but cheap dollar store washcloths) and everyone loved them.

By Kathy from Seattle, WA

Darned, why didn't I think of that. Good tip!

Pets Dogs GroomingJanuary 27, 2011
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Woman wearing oven mitts.
Making Oven Mitts and Hot Pads
Uses for Oven Mitts
Uses for Oven Mitts
🎉
🎄