Bobble Head Costume

This was my Halloween costume this year. One of my best friends and I create a children's TV show together and thought it would be great to make bobble heads of our TV personalities that we would later use on our show. You can see what we actually look like (as super heroes) at

bobblehead costume

I used yoga balls as a mold for the paper mache heads. Once I put many layers of paper mache I then painted on the base skin color with spray paint and did the rest with poster paint. Then I sprayed it with a varnish to keep the paint from bleeding. For my hair, I used two small brooms that made my pig tails. For his hair, I made many yarn tassels and taped them in place.

bobblehead costume

I did not have quite enough time to put enough layers of paper mache on so it would be sturdy on its own so I had to keep the ball inside (instead of deflating it and making eye holes through the mouth). I added a ring of card board around the the bottom which created a longer neck and cut a rectangle hole into the cardboard to use as an eye hole.

On our first night out wearing these we went to a Halloween skating party where we won a prize for our outrageous costumes. The next night we went out trick or treating and got many compliments, such as "Those are the best costumes I have seen tonight." They were well worth the work and will come in handy in our kids show.

I encourage anyone who has the time to make a bobble head for their costume next year, it was a lot of fun and it is always nice to see someone who worked hard on their costume.

bobblehead costume

About The Author: Stella contributes craft ideas to If you have any craft ideas that you would like to share with Stella and ThriftyFun community, please submit them here.

Those are great costumes!!! I really like that idea a lot! I love dressing up for Halloween, and when I dress up, I try to go all the way instead of just "throwing a cape around my shoulders," as I've heard from people before, I love dressing up, and those are really awesome costumes!! Good job!

Excellent idea. I love that it's so original...fantastic!!

Tracey from Michigan

We made some bobble-heads of ourselves this year too! Ours sat on hardhats with home-made springs so that they would actually bobble. They were heavy though!

Crafts Halloween CostumesDecember 2, 2005
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Phantom Of The Opera Costume
Making a Batgirl Costume
Boy Behind Fence in Convict Costume
Making a Convict Costume
Girl Dressed as a Nurse
Making a Nurse Costume