Use Old Socks for Thumbless Mittens

We are having below freezing temps with A LOT of snow. We have had to hand shovel it. We are building a home, and of course, it was to be complete before winter. All our gloves are packed away. To shovel without gloves is freezing. We couldn't get to a store for a couple of days. So I doubled up old socks, and used as a mittens without a thumb. Boy did that warm up our hands.

Source: My own freezing hands said "do something"!

By Sherri from Lyle, WA

I remember as a kid that was pretty much all we had for mittens. Until my Mom was given a few old sweaters. She used those and made us custom-sized mittens. We thought we were rich! I still use socks when it's really cold and I have to feed and water livestock. ;))

We've used socks over gloves or mittens for those times when you might get a bit of drip from your nose or the watery line from your outer eyes and tissue isn't handy. Use a clean area of the sock then toss them in the laundry when you're done. It makes for a much more comfortable outdoor chore.

Winter Weather Tips and Tricks
Winter Weather Tips and Tricks
Consumer Advice Clothing TipsJanuary 20, 2009
Socks
Making a Sock Quilt
A picture of a pair of socks.
Organizing Socks
Photo of felt mittens.
Making Felt Mittens
sock snowman
Uses for Old Socks
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 3:29:37 PM on 10.0.2.188 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.