Saving Money on Pet Prescriptions

Tips and advice or saving money on pet prescriptions.

For years I got my cat's thyroid medication from our vet. It seemed to go up in price every time I refilled it. We changed vets and he told me I could get it much cheaper by taking the prescription to Wal-Mart. It went from $23 to $8. This was before Wal-Mart $4.00 prescriptions. So, you may be able to get them for $4.00.

By Artlady

Farm Supply Stores

Our farm supply store sells medications. On the few times we get a prescription from the vet (usually our vet just gives us the medication) we take it to the farm supply store and get it there, no prescription is needed, so if it is something your pet will always need, you can get it refilled with no problem. It is all kept under lock and key, and they do make you sign a release that it is for an animal.

We get antibiotics, vaccinations and salves this way. However, since we are a farm family, our pets are larger animals and are harder to transport to the vet. Most country "farm" vets are very good about showing farm family how to do stitches and give injections. Nice for when a cow gets tangled in a fence at 3 a.m. or a neighbors dog chases down and hurts a chicken or bites a horse. We also keep a good stock here for emergencies, since those always happen on holidays or after hours for the vet. Nice way to avoid a $200 farm visit charge, and by having medication on hand we can either hold off to see the vet till he is open, or in some cases all together avoid the vet.

By mom-from-missouri

Shop Online

One of my colleagues just ordered from an Australian website. He is saving $100 plus on Heartgard and flea meds for his 2 dogs. The members of the bichon list have used Australian sites for years and found them to be great.

By Daiquiri

Feel free to post your ideas below.

Wow! What would I do without my Thriftyfun family? If our vet will agree to write a prescription for our mastiff's antibiotic, the Thriftyfun community will have saved us more than $20 a month on that one item alone! The Rite-aid where I get my own prescriptions filled said they'd fill our mastiff's prescription and match Wal-mart's $4 price.

I also got the idea to check with our former dog food supplier (actually a feed supply store,) and they've agreed to set aside a bag of the Diamond brand dog food we used to buy. We hated leaving them to buy our food at the local Petsmart chain, and even more so since the prices just keep rising. Now that I know our former supplier will set aside a bag of dog food for us, that's about another $8 in savings. Thank you all, my Thriftyfun family! Every penny helps in these tough economic times.

Cheapest pet meds can be bought at your local feed store or Tractor Supply.

I have information on pet medication discounts. Also get a Pet Therapist Benefit.

There are some discount drug cards that give you a significant discount on generic drugs for pets (prescription only) at any pharmacy. Here's a couple:

Saving Money on Pet Medications
Saving Money on Pet Medications
Pets HealthNovember 7, 2008
Prescription Drugs
Getting Help Paying for Prescription Drugs
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding