Lilies Won't Bloom

I have two peace lilies that were given to me by a relative. One has struggled from the beginning. It wouldn't get any taller, only got new growth and bushed out. I transplanted it about 3 months ago and it started growing well. It is 3 times larger than before. My problem is that it is pale looking. Its leaves aren't as dark as the other one I have and it still hasn't bloomed. I have tried plant food. Neither one of them are in direct sunlight. They both get about 5 hours of sun in the afternoon. What else can I do?

Hardiness Zone: 8b

Krys from Milton, Florida

The pale color of your peace lily may be a symptom of one the following:

• Exposure to high temperatures (over 95°F) for a prolonged period
  • Over watering (soil should be kept evenly moist)
  • Soil kept too dry between watering
  • A mineral deficiency caused by a build up of fertilizers salts. (Magnesium-Mg, Iron-Fe, Sulfur, or Manganese-Mn) Use a 3:1:2 fertilizer.
  • Too much light. Afternoon sun (even when not direct) may be too bright. Try areas having 75%-80% shade in Florida.

Even with a healthy plant, transplanting can cause a temporary lack of flowers while the plant focuses its energy on growing new roots. Plants younger than a year old also usually lack flowers.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

This is really strange for a peace lilly.From the sounds of things, I do everything wrong with mine and they bloom like crazy. I have them in an east window, lots of morning sun, I usually forget to water them until they droop and only fertilize them (with whatever I grab first) when I think of it (maybe once a year). Sometimes when we ignore plants, they do much better. I work at an assisted living facility and the residents will get Christmas cactus at holiday time. They never get watered unless I decided to water them, they are always left in a drafty window-year round (sometimes they look like they should be thrown out) but they bloom beautifully every year!

Peace Lily Not Blooming
Peace Lily Not Blooming
Home and Garden Gardening FlowersOctober 10, 2005
Growing Cannas
Growing Canna Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies
Growing Lilies in Pots
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start