Saving Money on Cookies

Tips for saving money on cookies as suggested by the ThriftyFun community.

Cheap Cookies After Holidays

Supermarkets with bakeries in the store, regularly mark down cookies. After a holiday is especially good, they seem to be cheaper. Store them in the freezer. If you want a snack, who cares what holiday they look like. If you want to camouflage the holiday colors, add some icing! This can be cheaper than making cookies from scratch.

By Syd

Cake Mix Cookies

You can make 5 dozen or more cookies out of one box of cake mix. I wait until the mix is on sale for $1 or less and then buy enough for a month or two. (I bake once a week - cookies out of cake mix - and brownie bites: brownie mix with a bit more water than required baked in mini-muffin papers, making 6 dozen). This way it costs me $2 or less to provide snacks for the whole week. I used to make the brownie bites without the papers, but then they'd be gone in one day. The paper slows them down and makes them last at least 3 days.

Cake mix cookies: Mix the dry mix with 2 eggs and 1/3 cup cooking oil. Form into 1 inch balls and place on lightly greased cookie sheets. Flatten skightly. Bake 8-10 minutes at 375 degrees F.

The best flavor we've had so far is German Chocolate Cake. My daughter did not like the "funfetti" mix, but I liked it, so I think you'll have to just try flavors out and see what you like. The spice cake mix is good for quick holiday baking.

By Rabbithorns

Freeze Homemade Cookies Before Baking

It doesn't matter how much the supermarkets mark down cookies, you will still save money by baking your own. Find your favourite recipe and make as large a batch as you can handle. Roll it into evenly shaped 'logs' and cover with cling wrap. When somewhat frozen, carefully unroll and slice. Rewrap and freeze. Whenever you want cookies, just thaw out a sliced log, arrange slices on a cookie sheet and bake.

By Cathy

Buy Ingredients On Sale

Buy the chips, nuts, sprinkles, and such either in bulk or after holidays. Flour and sugar also. When baking, do two cookie sheets at a time, having two more ready to go while the first two are baking. Freeze them between wax paper in container or bag.

I've done the cookies from cake mix and they are delicious! Can also do the same with mix from scratch using the 2 eggs and 1/3 c. oil. For less fat, I've even used applesauce for the oil with good results.

By Thkgranny

Buy Tins of Shortbread Cookies After the Holidays

My husband likes those buttery plain shortbread cookies, that I've found at a local pharmacy in their food section, just after Halloween. I waited till the day after Christmas to stock up, when they were marked down (red and green wrapped package). I got them much cheaper then, and got a full shopping cart full of nothing but them. They keep well and hubby has them for his lunches for several months to come!

By Badwater

Freezing Cookies

Save money by storing cookies in the freezer. Here's a guide for freezing cookies.

Baking Cookies

Click here for cookie recipes submitted by ThriftyFun readers. Be sure to submit your favorite cookie recipe!

This reminds me of a somewhat embarrasing moment.....I bought some Christmas cookie dough with the Christmas tree figure in the dough. I had them in the freezer and a few months after Christmas I needed a quick dessert for dinner when friends came over. I figured that if I frosted them and put them on a plate served them with ice cream, no one would be the wiser! Well, not so as the guy picked one up and immediately turned it over! Ooops!

Cake cookies are great! Kids especially like the strawberry flavor with vanilla icing. Lemon is good too!

Stack of chocolate chip cookies.
Saving Money on Cookies
Food and Recipes Food Tips Baking CookiesFebruary 8, 2008
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Wii console and controllers
Saving Money on a Wii
Mare and Foal in a Corral
Saving Money on Horse Boarding
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
Keeping Homemade Cookies Fresh
🎉
🎄