Cleaning Children's Toys

I am looking for a safe and effective way to clean children's toys on a daily or weekly basis. We have four children (in three different schools) so lots of opportunity for sharing germs. Also, our youngest is one and puts EVERYTHING (and I mean EVERYTHING) in her mouth, so I need a cleaning method that is safe for her, too. Thanks so much for your help!

Crista from Grandville, MI

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

Disinfecting/Antibacterial wipes are fine for toys that cannot be submerged in water. If you can submerge them, fill a plastic tub 1/2 full of warm water with about 1/2-1 cup of bleach and let them soak. Bleach is by far the best sanitizer even today.

Put them in your dishwasher, top rack away from the heating element. stuffed toys can hit the washing machine.

I like this new Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface spray---it doesn't smell funky and says its safe to use on anything!!!

I use it alot on my son's booster seat tray.

Bleach is the best-- a 10% solution will kill HIV. I envision a spray bottle with the mixture. Plus, within 24 hours, the bleach combines with the air and goes away. Probably you could rotate the kids toys to allow the bleach to do it's thing.

I use a mild soap and water solution when washing stuffed toys. I really like the idea of disinfecting them. Won't bleach ruin the toys (discolor them or some kind)?

You actually only need 2 tsp of bleach for every gallon of water. Using more bleach does not kill any more germs. Just wastes bleach and causes stronger fumes.

Home and Garden Cleaning ToysJanuary 12, 2007
A young girl playing with a toy train.
Tips for Choosing Eco-Friendly Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Organizing Bath Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
Cleaning Stuffed Toys
Cleaning Stuffed Toys
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 19, 2017 at 2:09:53 PM on 10.0.1.165 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.