I recently moved from a 3 bedroom house to a single wide mobile home. I found I have much less storage space in my kitchen so this is what I did. I don't use my oven regularly, so I store my pots and pans and lids in the oven. In order to cut costs on my electric and water bills, I do not use the dishwasher. The top tray makes an excellent place to store the small items like measuring cups and spoons, long handled forks and spoons, tongs, and can opener. The bottom is large so the large dishes, baking pans and cookie sheets fit with no trouble. I also hang a small hand towel and a dish towel over the door.
This puts everything in a place, out of sight, and everything is quickly reachable. This worked so well that I bought a small roll of that rubber mesh used for shelves and cut it to fit the top tray so the measuring spoons and other small items wouldn't fall through. Works great.
By Clynnaltemus from Inglis, FL
If it is just you, then not using the dishwasher is a saver, but if it's more than few dishes a day, using the sink uses more water than the dishwasher.
Yes, I have a portable dishwasher that came with the place. I never get around to wheeling it to the sink, so I decided to keep my cleaning supplies & products in it. At least I'm getting use of the space.
The problem with this suggestion is, I've seen people who keep their winter sweaters & what-not in the oven during the summer months, then a friend comes over & decides to bake a frozen pizza. Well, you can imagine the damage! (let alone possible fire!) If you're crazy enough to do something like this, you'd better post a BIG note! Better yet, store only pots & pans with metal handles (no plastic or wood) in the oven.
I use my Mirowave as a bread box, keeps my bread, donuts, etc fresh, I do the same thing in our travel trailer, They are off the counter, save from bugs It just take a second to remove them to use the microwave. Work for us
Please, Please, Please. Do not store anything that could melt or catch fire in the oven. Most people know not to store plastics, but some pot and pan handles can catch fire at high temperatures.
A few years ago a man stored some items in his oven and the oven was accidently turned on. When he opened the oven door because he smelled the plastic burning, there was a burst of flames. He died a few days later.
Ha! I had an artist friend who really didn't cook - and she stored her Barbie doll collection in the kitchen cabinets!
My grandmother used to store her paper bag collection and cookie pans in the oven. If you think that It might be accidentally turned on, pull the knob off and mark which end goes where for future reference.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!