Unusual Garden Decorations

Unusual garden art and planting containers submitted from the ThriftyFun community. Post your own ideas here.

Children's Shopping Cart

I like to decorate our yard with unusual items during the summer months and get quite a few compliments on how wonderful and "inviting" our yard looks.. We even won a beautification award from the city we live in. My most recent "thrifty" idea was:

My neighbor was throwing out one of those plastic blue/pink child's shopping carts as one of the wheels was cracked. I asked if I could have it - she gave it to me. I asked people at work to save me their plastic Folger's ground coffee containers. I had gotten some seeds from a neighbors plant for marigolds. I glued the cracked wheel on the shopping cart. Then I drilled holes in the bottom of the Folger's container and filled it with dirt and planted the marigold seeds. I put the Folger's container in the shopping cart and put the cart on our front porch. Now I have a beautiful plant growing in a colorful shopping cart and it has been quite a conversation piece and is really cute! By Robin

Recycle Old Things In Garden Decor

I love ideas like this - the only limit is your imagination. Among my garden beds I have an old wheelbarrow, earthenware jars, white ceramic insulation things from old telegraph poles, a terracotta chimney, 3 iron wagon wheels, a wrought iron bed end and 2 rams skulls complete with horns! They all blend in with my natural native garden.

By Jo Bodey

Use Baby Things As They Are Outgrown

I've done the same thing. It appears I am always looking at something to see how I can use it instead of throwing it away. My daughter just got through cleaning her room and she has two of the shopping carts with the wheels broke on it. I set them aside to do the same thing that Robin did. Just haven't gotten around to it. I took one of her plastic baby doll carriers and placed a pot of allysums in it and have it setting out in front of our carport. I took her old baby bathtub placed dirt in it and planted marigolds and dwarf zinnias in it and placed below our outside water spigot. I plan on using her old baby plastic potty chair as a pot and place on the other side of the bathtub.

By Renee Taylor

Feng Shui Garden Art

All these ideas sound great!! I have just started in my back yard. First I put in some Feng Shui colors, mostly flowerbeds. I like unusual container ideas too. So far, I have a full-size toilet, classic rusty wheelbarrow, couple old metal patio chairs, a TV and 2 old-fashioned radiating heaters. The latter 2, having trouble deciding what to do. Any ideas? Especially with Feng Shui in mind!

By Judy in LA

Answers

By radiating heater do you mean an old electric or one of the wood burning kind?

Whichever it is it will provide some warmth to your atmosphere. Sorry couldn't resist.