Organizing Children's Books

I am looking for an inexpensive way to store all my daughters books. She is 2, loves books and has SO MANY! At first, I used a jumbo diaper box, but since she has accumulated more, it is overflowing and she can't see what books she has. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

this is what I did for my wee one-

Get some dowels, and 2 pieces of wood...you're making like a "towel rack" only it's for books. I wish I could show you a picture of ours.

Basically, you attach the dowels on the 2 pieces of wood (that are parrallel from one another. The books get draped over the dowels, similar to some magazine racks? Hope this helps!

ps-i just told the guy at Home Depot what I was planning to make and he drilled the holes in the 2 side pieces for me (I think it was 25c a cut?)

My Grandson had a plastic shelf full of books,and the weight began to bend it.I found a 3 shelf wooden bookshelf,painted it and organized the books by size.It now looks nice in his room and the plastic shelf holds movies and games. After he's through with a book he's putting them back on the shelf.Books cost too much to sling in a crate and an organized shelf teaches them to be responsible for their books.You can often find them unpainted for less than $20.It's well worth the investment,to take care of their book collection.

Small or med crates or plastic shoe boxes are easiest for children to keep books in. Teach them to place books in spine up or standing up so they don't damage each other. Keep one box or crate out at a time, and rotate them. Another good option is a magazine rack, they have wooden ones for usually about $10-especially now around holiday giftwares.

No tips for storage, Heather (sorry 'bout that), but I just wanted to applaud you for encouraging your daughter's reading habit. Speaking as someone who has a life-long love of books, you have helped establish something for your daughter that will give her much pleasure and learning for the rest of her life. Good for you!!

If you have a local freecycle group ask them for a bookcase. You can probably get on for free.

I'm having the same problem, so the advice helped me too. Thank you! I'm a member of our local freecycle and it didn't even cross my mind to post on there for one. By the way, the website for freecycle is www.freecycle.org if you want to try to find you one also. I seen on www.wal-mart.com they have small bookcases for only $17.98 which isn't that bad.

I have a 3 year old who loves to read with me as well. I have purchased plastic dishpans from the dollar store and put the books in these. Stand the books up in the pan. We have then put them either on the floor and slide them under her bed or put the pan on a bookshelf.

If there are too many books for a child to chose from it can be over stimulating for them and they may quickly lose interest in the book and want to get another.

I would suggest that you have your child select about 10 books and then store all the others away, use these 10 books for a couple of weeks and then get all the books out again and let your child select 10 books for the next fortnight. You will see that the child will have a favourite book that they will chose every time.

I used to do the same basic idea with toys, I would have one big toy box that the children would fill with toys and then all the others would be stored away.

When they had a holiday break from school the first day was always spent re-organising the toy box, everything was put out on the playroom floor for the day and they would have great fun finding toys they had forgotton about and the next morning we would fill one box again and store away all the other toys. This was also an opportunity to throw away any broken toys and give away any they no longer wanted.

I have done the same thing as u, and so now i have three -four cereal boxes, diaper box etc, and have picture labled them as fairy tale book, animal book, alphabet books, and so on... so she has learnt to sort also as she chooses to read one by one and the bins remain clean atleast for 10-12 days, after that i need to reshuffle them and tidy it a bit.Hope this is helpful to u..happy reading time.

I had the same problem and I got two wooden crates (like the ones peaches come in), attached wheels to the bottoms, painted them and labeled them books. That way he can move the boxes easily and also easily flip through the books to choose what he wants to read. When I want to we can also roll the book boxes into the closet for a neater look. Good luck!

Buy plastic wash basins in different colors. Different colors for different kinds of books. Tubs slide onto book shelves very easy and neatly.

A young boy reading a large book.
Organizing Children's Books
Organizing BooksOctober 4, 2005
Old Encyclopedias on Shelf
Finding the Value of Old Reference Books
Child Coloring in a Coloring Book
Saving Money On Coloring Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Saving Money on Audio Books
Picture of a several paperback books.
Organizing Your Book Collection
🎉
🎄