Horny Toads

They aren't named and are very young. We have had them for about a month. They are Horny Toads which are common to the desert area. They like to lay around eating crickets and grasshoppers.

These started out as pets to go to two of the grandchildren but I don't know if I can give them up or not. They are adorable even though they are ugly. I don't know if I will find anymore because they have started to hibernate for the winter.

Horny Toads

By Pat from Turnage

Awww...you brought back such wonderful childhood memories. We used to catch these little critters and I just loved them. In fact, I was just telling my hubby about them a couple of days ago and then you put this darling picture on the site. Thanx. Pat, for the wonderful reminder of my childhood. PS...ask the parents and maybe they'll say "no" and you can keep them....teehee!!!

#1 ... I am glad you did not say your name is Betty..

and

#2... I would say keep them!

I have never seen them before, I loved bugs, snakes toads, everything but mice & rats as a child. They are quite beautiful, did not know they had tails, have heard of them but never seen them. Thanks.

Wow Pat they resemble my pet bearded dragon!

I've never seen a horny toad either! They ARE kinda cute, aren't they. Cool!

I caught and raised them as a kid in fort Worth Texas. They were fed red ants and small spiders and did well in captivity. Today I do cartoons of them and sell them as greeting cards on my web site at http://www.caddylakgraffix.com . They have always been a favorite of mine to draw. I guess because as a child i kept them as pets.

We had twenty six to hatch in our yard one summer.

The mother lays eggs in a hole in a sunny location & they will hatch in a few weeks & dig their way out. I was later told that I was supposed to report it to the extension office because they are on the endangered list. Which is probably true because you don't see them as much as you used to.

Hi... I don't know where you live, but here in Texas these lizards are on the endangered species list. When I was a child (50 years ago) they were very abundant but now are rarely seen. We old-timers miss them. Please considering returning them to the wild. Thank you.

Darrell, I was born in Oklahoma and that's where we caught our little horny toads. I moved to Calif at age 12 and now I live in the Netherlands. Isn't life a trip??? :)

they are funny looking , I think I have seen these

in CA or the desert areas, can't remember they are

funny looking but the tails are a surprise.

Photos Pets OtherNovember 12, 2005
Guide
Toad in a garden.
Attracting Toads to Your Garden
🎄