10th Birthday Ideas

My son is turning 10 on 19 August 2010 and I want to celebrate his birthday on 21 August 2010 because his birthday is during the week. I want to take him and his friends to a park for a day. What can I do to make his party special? He likes the idea of going to the park.

By Busisiwe

Best Answer

Best idea. Just ask him what he thinks would be cool. I have a daughter who just turned 10. All the things I thought of were totally uncool and I probably would never have heard the end of it. 10 year olds seem to be that weird age where we as parents still see them as children, but they don't see themselves as young as we see them. They are ready to help make decisions about things that effect them in some way.

Kids love relay races and obstacle courses or scavenger hunts. I would also suggest watching Minute To Win It and playing some of their games. Let the kids have some time for free play on the playground equipment.

Be sure to have plenty to drink on hand if it's hot though.

Ten year old boys don't need a lot of organization. My sons liked rowdy things like water fights or organizing themselves into teams and playing commando. We lived on a farm, so they just did it themselves.

If your son and his friends are sports orientated, you could take along a soccer ball or softball equipment.

Get him involved in the planning-- see if he wants ice cream cake or cup cakes baked in ice cream cone cups or???? I always served hot dogs which we roasted over a fire, but you might have to do something different. Most parks don't have firepits, unless they are in the country.

If he wants something organized, I like the relay ideas that others have suggested. If he just wants to play with his friends, you really have far less to do!

I would suggest a water fight, though. That is what comes to mind for me -- water pistols and water balloons. You could give water pistols and pumps as the "goodie bag" item, and they could just have at it! ( Let the kids know they will be doing some active playing. Once one of our 'guests" wore his new white pants, and got a grass stain on it. He went off by himself and wept and wouldn't do anything else till the cake was served! Naturally, the guys have never forgotten it-- and they are in their 20's now!) Take along pails of water and pre-filled balloons. I think this might make you the coolest mom in the neighbourhood.

August 11, 2010 Flag

I am planning my DS's 10th birthday party which will take place on May 13th. I am in need of some really frugal ideas for this party which I am inviting 36 people. The thing I have to keep in mind though is that my DS is autistic and doesn't enjoy a lot of activities that non-autistic kids enjoy. I'm not sure what price range I should shoot for with this and need some advice. Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

Melissa from WV

Answers:

10th Birthday Ideas

I am an OT who works with kids. My first question is do you really need to have such a large group? Is this for family or other kids? Is he comfortable with the family, or with having so many people around? Would you do better to have a pot luck for family, with a small (4 or 5 kids) party another day for kids?

I think I would keep everything as simple as possible; and keep the time frame short. I would also designate one area or room as his "quiet"; spot, to escape to if the festivities become too much for him.

What does he like to do? What are his interests? There are a lot of simple, inexpensive games. Think back to our own parties when we were kids: trying to drop clothespins into a milk bottle, balloon races, pin the tail on the donkey, bean bag toss, etc. There are many websites with simple crafts, if your son likes projects. The mainstream craft stores will often put the white painter caps on sale for 2/$1, and they can be decorated with permanent markers.

Can your son verbalize what he wants? If so, ask him! He may have some ideas about what he wants to do. (Read: Preconceived Notions! He might be thinking pizza and videos.)

I am still intimidated by the number of guests you're thinking of, though. You can also ask his teacher and OT at school what suggestions they might have.

Let us know what kind of things he likes, and we can help with more suggestions.

(04/17/2006)

By Jill

10th Birthday Cake.
10th Birthday Party Ideas
Holidays and Parties Parties BirthdayAugust 11, 2010
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party
Bicycle Themed Birthday Party Ideas
Blue letter blocks spelling out happy birthday.
17th Birthday Party Ideas for Girls
ribbon and balloon hair clip
Making a Birthday Hair Clip
7th Birthday Party Ideas
7th Birthday Party Ideas
🎄