Georgia Gumbo

A great way to use your summer garden produce. I cut this recipe out of some newspaper years ago and just recently found it again in my recipes. Tried it last summer and it was delicious. I made several batches and froze them. Just as good thawed and warmed in the winter.

• 2 1/2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1 1/2 cups cut okra
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1 Tbsp. vinegar
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. butter

Mix all and cook on low heat until all vegetables are done. About 45 Minutes. You can serve over rice or just eat as a soup. Freezes well.

Servings: 4
Prep Time: 15 - 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 45 Minutes

By Sherrye from GA

I can't remember ever eating any dish which had okra in it that I didn't love. Okra adds so much flavor and with tomatoes, onions and peppers is a meal all by itself just served over rice.

Thanks for delicious sounding and simple recipe.

I just knew this had to be a good southern recipe as soon as I saw "gumbo". I'd hate to have to judge which state has the best. Georgia or Louisiana, although Virginia and North Carolina make some good gumbo too. I'd probably have to include Texas and South Carolina in there somewhere as well. I'm a bit curious to know just how many states are still growing and

using okra. We love it, but have found restaurants in our travels that didn't know what we were talking about.

Thanks for a delicious sounding meal. We love it served over rice too.

Vegetarian Gumbo
Vegetarian Gumbo Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Soups VegetableJune 27, 2011
Little girl giving to Salvation Army.
Georgia Christmas Charities
Bowl of seafood gumbo.
Seafood Gumbo Recipes
Small isolated okra with more in the background.
Freezing Okra
chicken gumbo soup
Chicken Gumbo Recipes