Can You Reuse Potting Soil?

Is there any way to revive old dirt in pots left out all winter?

By Jodee H from St. Louis, MO

Best Answer

I always use the soil on my lawn to fill in holes that may have developed. Works great when added with some grass seed.

Best Answer

I either put it in my compost bin or put it in the bottom of pots and top up with new when transplanting plants to bigger pots.

Best Answer

I keep a 5 gallon pail with a cover to dump used soil in. I put in cut up chunks of fruit and veggie peels, egg shells, etc. Each time stuff is added, either stir or shake up the whole pail. When 1 pail is 3/4 full, start another. Just keep adding used soil and "scraps" as you have them. You're actually composting in miniature.

I use this to fill about 1/2 of the next pot I want to use, put in the plant, then fill to desired level with new soil. Much cheaper than using all new soil, uses "garbage" as fertilizer"/compost, and it's basically free.

Best Answer

Of course. I pool all my soil from last year's annuals in a pile, add peat moss and fresh potting soil as needed, and find that I usually only buy one small bag of new soil each year. Make sure your pots stay outside all winter so they get nice and chilled to kill off bugs or diseases, and make sure all your pots drain well. I inherited some pots without drainage and while every bulb in them rotted, the soil was okay after mixing with peat and new soil.

I use mine every year. I usually add some new stuff (soil) and it works fine.

Yes, stir it to make it soft & add some new composted manure to it, good luck.

I haven't had problems reusing the soil in pots. You do need to revive it a bit though, especially if you have been using commercial fertilizers. Just scrap off & toss out the top inch or so of the old soil to remove the fertilizer salts, loosen up the remaining soil & mix in some fresh compost, peat moss & a little composted manure. Then when you've got it all replanted cover the soil with some mulch, like dried grass clippings or wood chips.

Reusing Potting Soil
Reusing Potting Soil
Home and Garden Gardening SoilApril 17, 2010
Making a Potting Bench
Making a Potting Bench
Potting Soil
Sterilizing Potting Soil
Treating the Soil After Tomato Blight
Treating Soil After Tomato Blight
Garlic being planted into garden soil mix.
Making Your Own Garden Soil Mix
🎄