How Do I Make a Braided Rug?

Does anyone have a pattern for braided rugs?

By Sandra Lee from Mattawa, WA

Answers

You don't need a pattern for this. Just take three long strips of fabric and fasten them together on one end, then start braiding like you would when braiding hair. You will have to keep adding lengths of fabric to the strips, you would best do this by sewing them together. When you get enough length to work with, start forming it into and oval or round shape. As you do this you will have to hand sew it together so that it holds it's shape. Also use a heavy duty thread when you do this.

March 27, 2011 Flag

I would like to obtain directions on how to make your own braided rug.

Leslie

Answers:

How Do I Make a Braided Rug?

You can use just about any type of fabric to do this. Tear the fabric into long strips of a 6 inch thickness. Knot the ends of three to six (depending on how thick you want it) strips and start braiding. When you get near the end of the strips add/weave in your new 3 or 6 strips and restart braiding so if you had 3 strips it would be 6 till the very end of the first three, and 12 if you started with 6, etc.

When you start getting a good pile of braid, take a darning needle that has a good length to it and thread it with fishing line for your thread (it holds better over time than the carpet thread). Putting the braid, flat side to flat side, start turning it into a circle around itself. As you go, sew together the most center of the flat side of braids together. Keep doing this until the circle you have is what you feel is large enough. (04/04/2004)

By Shanna

How Do I Make a Braided Rug?

A recent issue of the magazine CountrySide had an
article on making a braided rug. I don't remember
the issue, but it was a 2004 copy. The article had clear instructions and photos. Strips for braiding are sewed on at a 45 degree angle to reduce bulk at the seams. Lacing is done with a heavy thread, but not fishing line because it tends to wear through. I am currently ripping every old, worn out pair of jeans my kids can produce into strips. This winter I hope to have enough to start. Good luck with yours. (07/20/2004)

By Olivia

Crafts RugsMarch 27, 2011
Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Making a Hooked Rug Using Plastic Bags
Plastic Bag Rug
Making a Rug from Plastic Bags
ornamental rug
Removing Rug Dye from Carpet
🎄