Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Supporting Cucumber Vines

0 0EmailFollow
supporting cucumbers

There are a number of reasons you may wish to consider supporting or staking your cucumber vines. This is a guide about supporting cucumber vines.

Solutions: Supporting Cucumber Vines

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Should I Stake Cucumber Vines?

Question:

I'm new to gardening and I am growing cucumbers for the 1st time. I would like to know if it is advisable to have the cucumbers on the ground. The vines are growing out of control, should I stake them like tomatoes?

WINDELLA from Pasadena, CA

Answer:

Windella,

Welcome to the wonderful world of gardening! It sounds as though you're on your way to your first successful crop of cucumbers. Congratulations! A smart gardener once asked, "Why grow horizontally when you can grow vertically?" This is especially true of crops like tomatoes, squash, cucumbers, and pole beans. They tend to sprawl and use up a great deal of what is usually already limited garden space. There are also a number of advantages to using trellises, fences, stakes, and cages. Not only do they keep vegetables up off the ground, making them less susceptible to insect damage and many plant diseases, but they allow your vegetables to develop evenly while maximizing space. Support materials can consist of wood, extra stakes, twine, string, nylon stockings, or a nearby fences. Many gardeners prefer a tee pee shaped support that allows the fruits to hang freely in the center while the vines climbs up the sides to capture the sun. As container gardening gains popularity, many new varieties of cucumbers are being bred for their ability to climb and all varieties are easily trained once you get them headed up a support. Staking also allows the fruit to grow straighter and makes seeing the cucumbers at harvest time much easier.

Ellen

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Supporting Cucumber Vines.

Question: Growing Tortarello Chiaro Cucumbers

I brought back the above seeds from Crete. I now have healthy plants. Can I grow them outdoors along the ground?

By Connie

Most Recent Answer

By jean leiner [14]04/12/2012

I googled tortarello cucumber seeds, and found that they take 65-70 days to maturity and grow well on a trellis. If you live where they can have a growing season of that length, they should be fine outside. One site I found said they should be planted in peat pots which must be planted outside. Also, how do weather and soil conditions where you live compare with those on Crete?