Installing High Speed Internet Without Using Disc

I have the installation kit from AT&T/SBC, but my computer friend who deals with these companies and knows the 'ins and outs' and 'behind the scenes stuff' said that since I'm keeping my AOL e-mail address that I don't need to use the disc? I was going to install everything then go into AOL billing and get the AOL for free, so I'd just be paying about $15 for the internet. This thing was already activated by AT&T and I'm not even using it yet.

Trish from Riverside, CA

Your friend is correct. The exact setup instructions will vary according to your operating system (i.e., Windows XP, Vista, Windows ME, Linux, Apple, etc.) but no, you don't need to use their installation disk. They just give that to you to make the setup easier for "technically challenged" people.

The disk not necessary. Just call att and their tech assist will help you install it with little trouble.

Turns out, I needed the disc. After my friend got back to me he talked me through the wiring but I still wasn't 'connected' like I should have been. I had those noises in my ear, so he had me use the disc.

Everything is fine now. Thanks for the replies!

Computers TroubleshootingDecember 3, 2007
Making a Paper Plate Flying Disc
Making a Paper Plate Flying Disc
Installing Tile
Installing Tile
An upclose photo of a laptop keyboard.
Saving Money on Your Internet Bill
A grandma smiling while using her tablet computer.
Computer and Internet Training for Senior Citizens
🎄
🍂