Saving The Bagged Salad

Prewashed salad fixings are great, except they go bad so quickly due to excess moisture in the bag. To extend your salad greens' life, open the bag once you get home, place a paper towel inside and then close with a bag clip. The paper towel absorbs the extra moisture. This gives salad about an extra week.

Thank you for your money saving tip.

Thank you, I will try today, I have 3 bags in the fridge!

Kelly from Alaska

Thanks, I'm going to go put one in the opened bag we have now!

Actually, I use TWO paper towels....one on each side. When using, make sure you dig at bottom of bag to get out the smaller pieces that usually 'turn' first.

How good to know that. Thank you for the handy tip.

I do that with the bagged salad and I also wrap my lettuce with a paper towel for the same reason. I put paper towels in with the mushrooms, too.

I have to add one more little thing: When the paper towel gets damp (it will,) take it out and replace it with a dry one (or two.)

And btw, thanks for the hint about the mushrooms. I'll add a paper towel to the next package of mushrooms I buy!

That's a great tip however I don't use paper towels. Do you think the plain white flour sack T-towels would work? I often use them in place of paper towels. Thanks!!

Patty from MD

That's simple and cheap! I needed a solution other than throwing it out when it starts to turn brown. It becomes a big waste of money to buy salad.

In answer to homesteaddreamer asking if white flour sack T-towels would work: I would imagine that almost anything that is thin, absorbent, and food safe would work.

If you try using them, let us know how they work out. :-)

The salad that is not cut from iceburg lettuce keeps longer. I buy organics. Olivia's organic in the plastic box has a nice refrigerator shelf life. Also mushrooms can be frozen. If you find them on sale just separate them in small quantities but do not wash them until you are ready to use them. They turn dark when they thaw so they are mainly good for cooking.

Excellent idea. On a side note, I began using a rubber band to wrap the bags up instead of those clips. Much easier! Those clips get in the way and they often come off. Rubber bands don't. I use rubber bands now for salad bags, chip bags, everything I used to use the bag clips for!

I found out how well this works! It also works to take the salad out every day, dry the bag and then replace the greens. I found that by squeezing out excess air and closing tightly each time after using works wonders too. My greens that usually only last a week tops was good for 4 weeks (I was using spinach on my daughter's lunches and she had X-mas break, but it was still good, looking and smelling, when time to resume lunches).

I love to do this too, except I put one at bottom and a couple mid ways and one on top, works good....

Storing Bagged Salad Mixes
Storing Bagged Salad Mixes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsJanuary 6, 2009
Chef Salad
Chef Salad Recipes
Shredded cabbage
Uses for Bagged Shredded Cabbage
Wood Salad Bowl
Caring For Wood Salad Bowls
🎉
🎄