Protecting Grapes from Birds

Category Pest Control
Grapes growing under a net to protect them from the birds.
Grapes are very easy to grow in many places but it can be difficult for the grapes to survive all the way to harvest, thanks to hungry birds. This is a guide about protecting grapes from birds.

Protect your grapes from birds by inserting the grapes into a small paper bag and stapling at the top until ripe.

By MARIANN

Be very careful. A friend did that and killed 3 snakes the first night, good snakes! I just got my grapes started last year but would rather share with the birds. I think the cats will like that.

By ray from Mayer AZ

To protect your grapes from insects, bugs, and birds while still allowing them to get water and sunlight, use these paint strainers. They are sold at your home improvement store for $2.50 for a 2 pack. We just staple the closure shut and this paint strainer cloth is reusable.

Birds are eating all of my grapes. Any ideas to keep this from happening? I tried to scare them with bright objects on the vines as well as shiny Christmas ornaments. I made a cayenne spray, but that will get in the way of the flavor. I am stumped!

By Tamarra

Well I was in my local garden shop the other day and they sell bird netting to cover trees to keep birds from eating the fruit. The netting is 14 feet by 14 feet and the cost I believe was about $10. Maybe there is something similar in your area.

Tulle from the fabric store will work and it's very affordable.

Birds seem to avoid shiny aluminum foil and movement of the wind making the foil swing around. I know this sounds mighty strange, but the circular plastic covers from coffee, cream cheese, sour cream etc. can be covered with aluminum foil (not expensive good stuff, get it at the Dollar Store, the birds won't care).

Use a paper punch to make a hole in each and use thread or yard to tie each one to the grape vines. This will only work for about two years as the birds get used to it, but it's an immediate, inexpensive start!