Easy Yakisoba

This was my re-creation of a lunch plate I had recently at a local deli. It would also be delicious without the noodles and served over rice.

• 1 lb. boneless chicken breasts or thighs, cut to bite size pieces
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1 can pineapple tidbits, drained (reserve 1/2 cup of juice)
  • 1 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
  • 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
  • 2 carrots, sliced into coins
  • 1 cup broccoli florets, bite sized
  • 1-2 Tbsp. canola oil
  • 2 packages ramen (any flavor, save flavor packets for another use)
  • Green onions, sliced
  • Sesame seeds

Mix soy sauce, pineapple juice and garlic together and use as a marinade for the chicken pieces. Marinate for 30 minutes or refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Heat water to cook ramen noodles.

After chopping all vegetables, heat 1 Tbsp. canola oil in wok or large saute pan. Remove chicken from pineapple-soy marinade, add cornstarch and wisk together to make a sauce, set aside. When oil is hot, add chicken and well drained pineapple, stir fry until chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken and pineapple from pan with any juices. The ramen noodles should be added to the hot water at this time (I like to break them in half so they are shorter), cook for 3 minutes.

Add 1 Tbsp. oil to pan and return to heat, stir fry onion for a couple of minutes. Add carrots, broccoli and soy-pineapple sauce to wok, mix well and cover. Drain ramen noodles. Add noodles and chicken mixture (including juices) to pan and check on carrots, they should be softened but not cooked through. Adjust sauce consistency with a little water if it looks too thick and re-cover to heat through. Garnish plates with green onions and sesame seeds before serving.

This was much more complicated to describe than to make. It only took me about 15 minutes (except for marinating time) and my kids loved it!

Add any other vegetables you have on hand, exchanging cabbage for the pineapple would make it more traditional. If you would like to use a bottled teriyaki sauce instead of making your own, add a little water when you add the cornstarch.

Jess from Portland, OR

Sounds delicious. Sometimes I make stir-fry with whatever is leftover. Marinade with the pineapple juice will be a new twist for me. Can't wait to try it.

Food and Recipes Recipes International JapaneseJanuary 22, 2007
paper plate painted different colors and cut into puzzle
Paper Plate Puzzles
A child eating a brown bag lunch.
Quick and Easy School Lunchbox Ideas
Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread
Vegan Gluten Free Gingerbread
Hamburger Jerky Recipes
Hamburger Jerky Recipes