Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

What's a good recipe for roasting pumpkin seeds?

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Best Answer

The best tip I ever had about roasting pumpkin seeds (I think it was from Cooks Illustrated) was:

NOT TO RINSE THE SEEDS FIRST!

It's ok to take the big gloppy stuff out, but the basic "slime" and the little tiny unformed seeds actually add a lot of flavor to the final seasoned and roasted product.

Don't think of the slippery stuff that most recipes are instructing you to rinse off as some sort of contaminant, but instead, as the all-natural flavor enhancer.

If you are skeptical, try half and half this year and stick the ones you prefer next year.

Just like popcorn, I also suggest trying different seasonings. So far, I have liked the versions I have made using Lowery's seasoning salt, Cavender's Greek seasoning, curry seasoning, and taco seasoning.

Good luck and enjoy.

Best Answer

We make them every year and this year they turned out the most delicious and we used the simplest method. We rinsed the seeds in water and let them dry out over night. Then tossed them in a bowl with salt and put them on a dry cookie sheet in the oven at 350. No oil, butter or anything. We kept checking them and when they were golden brown took them out and sprinkled them with a little garlic salt. Honestly, the best we've had them!

I buy them raw, put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with oil and put them in the over at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Then I sprinkle them with sea salt or whatever spices I want. perfect!