Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

What's a good recipe for roasting pumpkin seeds?

By Laurel from Port Orchard, WA

Best Answer

The best tip I ever had about roasting pumpkin seeds (I think it was from Cooks Illustrated) was:

NOT TO RINSE THE SEEDS FIRST!

It's ok to take the big gloppy stuff out, but the basic "slime" and the little tiny unformed seeds actually add a lot of flavor to the final seasoned and roasted product.

Don't think of the slippery stuff that most recipes are instructing you to rinse off as some sort of contaminant, but instead, as the all-natural flavor enhancer.

If you are skeptical, try half and half this year and stick the ones you prefer next year.

Just like popcorn, I also suggest trying different seasonings. So far, I have liked the versions I have made using Lowery's seasoning salt, Cavender's Greek seasoning, curry seasoning, and taco seasoning.

Good luck and enjoy.

Best Answer

We make them every year and this year they turned out the most delicious and we used the simplest method. We rinsed the seeds in water and let them dry out over night. Then tossed them in a bowl with salt and put them on a dry cookie sheet in the oven at 350. No oil, butter or anything. We kept checking them and when they were golden brown took them out and sprinkled them with a little garlic salt. Honestly, the best we've had them!

I buy them raw, put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with oil and put them in the over at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. Then I sprinkle them with sea salt or whatever spices I want. perfect!

October 29, 2010 Flag

Can you tell me how to cook pumpkin seeds?

By Shana from Sonora, CA

Answers:

Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

I buy them raw, put them on a cookie sheet, spray them with oil and put them in the over at 300 degrees F for 30 minutes. Then I sprinkle them with sea salt or whatever spices I want. Perfect! (10/19/2009)

By Selahgal

Roasting Pumpkin Seeds

My family has used this method for years. In a large frying pan put all your pumpkin seeds (no oil) then in a separate cup add about a half cup water and salt (to taste) mix salt in water well, until all salt is dissolved, add it to the pan with seeds and cook until all water has evaporated. Remove from pan and lay to dry on parchment paper or wax paper on kitchen counter once cooled and dry they're ready to eat. (completely fat free) Enjoy. (10/19/2009)

By wondering

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 16, 2009 Flag

Clean all membranes off of seeds and rinse in lukewarm water. Spread on cookie sheet that has been oiled. Heat oven to 300 degrees and close oven door. Keep and eye to the oven and with a spatula turn seeds over when the are golden brown. You can then add Mexican seasonings for hot and spicy pumpkin seeds or leave plain. These are a great snack.

By Debra in Colorado

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Roasting Pumpkin Seeds Tips and Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Halloween AppetizersOctober 29, 2010
Pumpkin Custard
Pumpkin Custard Recipes
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds
Pumpkin Seeds
Using Pumpkin Seeds
Freezing Pumplin Pies
Freezing Pumpkin Pies
🎉
🎄