Cats Spraying Outside Our House

There are cats spraying on my outside porch. Cats are coming around the house all the time. (I do not own any cats). What can I do?

By Icu3 from Columbus

Have you thought about getting a dog?

I had a lot of feedback when I posted this question a few months back. Make sure that you are not leaving anything out for them to eat. Also make sure they cannot get under your house or in a shed close to your house to keep warm. I took dishwater and put in a plastic dishpan and then poured it out on my porch. I kept an old mop to use to clean to porch with. I also bought a couple of inexpensive products made by ARM & HAMMER and used them also. I bought the carpet & room pet fresh powder and the spray. I put both the powder and spray on my rugs that I had on the porch for people to wipe their feet on. I have a rug for the front steps, the side steps and a really good rug, that my animals don't like to step on, for people to use just before they step up into the house.

I have really light carpet, so I do my best to keep it in good shape. I also spray around the inside of the doorway and we keep a few shoes sitting at the door in case we need to go outside fast. I got a box to put the shoes in & sat them behind the door and I put the Arm and Hammer in the bottom of it. It's a very strong powder so you don't need much. I also washed & wiped down all the shoes & sprayed all of them. Again like the powder the spray is also very strong so you don't need much. I did this for about a week and then I didn't have any more trouble. From time to time I still have a stray come up and I simply nip it in the bud with the lessons I have learned. Remember it's very important to be diligent when dealing with this problem. Good luck.

Tobacco dust works great. Get it at garden centers. Good luck. Jenny

Hi Icu3, here are some cheap but effective cures.Hope one can work for you.

A mixture of cayenne and water. Put in spray bottle.This is nontoxic to animals,doesn't hurt plants but cats hate the smell.

Or try this dry mixture:

2 parts cayenne pepper

3 parts dry mustard

5 parts flour

Mix and sprinkle where needed.Apply again after a rain.

Cats also do not like the smell of human hair (any hair dresser would be glad to give you cut hair)

Moth Balls (they don't like the smell)

Good Luck!

Do not use cayenne pepper around animals. The get in on their paws and then into their eyes. Cats have been blinded trying to end the pain.

I'm having this exact issue. I have 4 male tomcats vying for my 1 year old cats affection. My problem is a bit different beings that I have a cat and she is about to get spayed in a few days so that's why I have the males in my back yard, fighting, and spraying like crazy. Needless to say my house downright stinks. After lots of research I have found some pretty good ways to clean up the stench and to prevent it.

White Vinegar is that one solid ingredient that most grandmothers use and it does the trick. Take 1 part Vinegar and 2 parts WARM water in a spray bottle and go around spraying the infected areas while scrubbing away the sprayed areas.

Another spray you can make is 15 ounces Hydrogen Peroxide, 2 Tbl Spoons of Baking Soda, 2 squirts of dish soap. Very important to use a disposable plastic container and spoon to mix solution. Scrub and rinse with WARM water.

Bio-Zet is a laundry detergent that is used in Australia apparently. I've never heard of it till now, but have heard great reviews about it's ability to remove cat urine or spray from fabrics, clothing, and upholstery. I will be buying this and using it for the rugs outside my house.

Do not use products containing ammonium, this will entice the cats to spray even more! As if we want that, right?

Prevention for inside the house: This also applies to people who have indoor cats in their home

First of all: Cleanliness, cleanliness, and more cleanliness. Cats are very clean animals and need their litter boxes, etc. to be nice and clean.

Having several litter boxes throughout the house in the affected areas may help with spraying. Putting lemon, orange peel, lavender, and I believe it is Eucalyptus scents where the cats have been spraying will help to detour the little tigers. Also putting food, sand paper, or plastic bags in affected areas may help too. If you have cats outside your house trying to get at your cat inside the house such as is my situation, block the view of the outside world. So your cat doesn't feel threatened and feels the need to spray as well adding to the disgusting smell.

Prevention for outside:

Lemon, lavender, orange peel, and eucalyptus scents once again. The cayenne pepper and water as someone stated earlier will definitely do the trick, but use caution as someone stated can cause blindness in cats.. I would say the cayenne pepper and water would be good just to spray on the walls of the house and not the ground (could help to avoid the kitties stepping in the stuff too and causing blindness).. Since when a cat sprays they spray vertical up onto walls, furniture, etc. I would avoid using the powder version of the cayenne pepper to help avoid kitty blindness.

The biggest prevention of all is get your females and males spayed and neutered. This helps eliminate spraying, the excess population of stray kitties, and health problems associated with the reproductive organs. Do not use the excuse that you do not have the funds to spay or neuter your pet. There are plenty of programs where there is zero to little cost to have this surgery done and if you can't afford the proper health care of your pet.. You should maybe altogether rethink the decision about getting a pet.

If none of the tactics work above, take your pet to their local vet. There may be an underlining issue that is causing the your cat to spray.

Best of luck from one cat spray sufferer to another!

Odoban! You can buy it at Walmart and other similar stores. It works wonders & is also a disinfectant and can be used ANYWHERE and for many purposes also. Ive had cats all my life, 4 right now and its the only thing that kills that smell. Its eucalyptus scented also which is recommended for deterring further scent marking.

cat outside
Discouraging Cats from Spraying the Outside of a House
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsJanuary 25, 2011
Family Working on Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Hanging Outdoor Christmas Lights
Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
Spider Hanging on web Outside
Getting Rid Of Spiders Outside House
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎉
🎄