Freezer Problem - Thermostat?

Hello. I have a small chest freezer (Frigidaire). The other day I noticed the food items at the top of the freezer were thawing out. I checked to see if a breaker had been tripped. It had not. I turned the control knob, and the unit kicked on the items quickly "re-froze."

A few days later the same thing occurred. I turned the knob again, and it came on. I checked the unit this morning and it was still running (I have the control knob set at its coldest setting). Do yo think it may be the thermostat going on the blink? If so, is it difficult to replace? The control knob sits on a removable panel. Do you "pull-off" the knob, before you pop-off the panel? Sure need some help. Thanks.

Best Answer

Hi Michael,

Here are some good sites to help you analyze your problem.

Does your freezer have auto defrost? If so, maybe the sensor gets stuck ON and whenever you turn the control knob it resets it until the next defrost cycle.

Yes always try to pull the knob off the switch, But be careful some are easy some are hard and no the thermostat is not hard to replace. I would suggest looking for removable access panel lower front side or rear and remove, Clean your motor coils with duster wands or shop vac. when these areas get dusty it does effect the operation of the unit. Do not pressure wash with anything greater than mild pressure. Make sure the unit is unplugged. Dont do this indoors. You should clean and run your freezer two three weeks and moniter to see if this fixed the problem. If thermostat is needed, Make sure to take model and serial number and familiarize yourself with the parts needed before obtaining them. Go ahead and draw a map with marking colored wires, to assure correct match. Chest freezers normaly don't have a long probe that you would have to fish through a side wall somewhere. If you need more advice Please contact me at Frickner

October 20, 20040 found this helpful is a good suggestion, as someone already pointed out. I would be concerned about the food in the freezer now - is it still safe to eat? In the future, especially if you will not be able to check the freezer for a few days, follow this tip which I think I got here! Put several ice cubes in a baggie and place in the freezer. If you find the cubes frozen into a solid blob, that means that the ice melted and refroze (and so did your food) and your food would probably need to be discarded.

The freezer won't freeze the ice even the temperature is set to halfway of its thermostat settings. There is also a ticking sound which can be heard from time to time. How can I repair this the ticking sound related to the problem in the freezer?

Sounds like the gas is going. place your hand on the freezer wall. If it defrosts on the part your hand is on and doesn't re freeze immediately its the gas or motor is on its way out. The thermostat only controls temperature; not the ability to freeze.

Opening a Freezer
Troubleshooting a Freezer
Home and Garden Repair Appliances FreezerOctober 18, 2004
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Open chest freezer
Cleaning a Freezer After a Power Outage
Small chest freezer with top closed.
Cleaning a Freezer
Chest Freezer
Chest Freezer Reviews